STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

Question.

Has anyone tried some of the "old school" techniques that Julian Smith is pushing?

https://www.instagram.com/smith.julian/?hl=en

If so, how has it benefited your gains and muscle control?

I'm starting to transition from big lifts and my usual style of lifting to more controlled movements and I wanted some more insight to this training.

Question.

Has anyone tried some of the "old school" techniques that Julian Smith is pushing?

I'm starting to transition from big lifts and my usual style of lifting to more controlled movements and I wanted some more insight to this training.

Could you explain? Would love to chime in but don’t have time to look through his IG.

Question.

I don't subscribe to his paid "Daily Pump" program, but I've followed him on IG the past couple of years because he is roughly my height/weight and his physique is along the lines of what I would want (although I'm not shaving my legs, regardless of how crazy they look).

I've definitely used some of his exercises and noticed that they hit a muscle in a way I haven't felt before (even after nearly a decade of dedicated lifting) and have primarily integrated his time under tension methodology. In addition to training in more of a hybrid manner (alternating between bodybuilding and powerlifting volume and set/rep schemes as well as incorporating varied tempo), I would definitely say his methods hold some weight.

Due to toe issues, I haven't tried as much of his Platz-style squats, but everything else I've tried has produced strength and mass gains, while bringing out definition I haven't had before.

Overall, based on your goals, I think everyone should utilize a hybrid approach to fitness. Strength training, functional strength exercises, cardio/performance based training, and aesthetic-based exercises should all be present in everyone's routine, just tailor the ratio of how frequently/heavily you focus on each depending on your current state and future goals.

I don't subscribe to his paid "Daily Pump" program, but I've followed him on IG the past couple of years because he is roughly my height/weight and his physique is along the lines of what I would want (although I'm not shaving my legs, regardless of how crazy they look).

I've definitely used some of his exercises and noticed that it hits a muscle in a way I haven't felt before (even after nearly a decade of dedicated lifting) and have primarily integrated his time under tension methodology. In addition to training in more of a hybrid manner (alternating between bodybuilding and powerlifting volume and set/rep schemes as well as incorporating varied tempo), I would definitely say his methods hold some weight.

Due to toe issues, I haven't tried as much of his Platz-style squats, but everything else I've tried has produced strength and mass gains, while bringing out definition I haven't had before.

Overall, based on your goals, I think everyone should utilize a hybrid approach to fitness. Strength training, functional strength exercises, cardio/performance based training, and aesthetic-based exercises should all be present in everyone's routine, just tailor the ratio of how frequently/heavily you focus on each depending on your current state and future goals.

Thanks alot Fam. That was the insight I was looking for.

I'm starting to modify my routine to develop more muscle control and definition in certain areas but my concerns were:

1. if it was viable. One time I went all bodyweight exercises and though I got super athletic I looked terrible. It was to the point that people were coming up to me in the gym and asking what happened lol.

2. If it was hinder my gains since my body really reacts to heavy weights. Unfortunately, I think because I'm getting older I tend to hit a wall where my central nervous system can't take the weight as easily and I feel like I'm coming to a plateau.

Thanks again for your insight. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Could you explain? Would love to chime in but don’t have time to look through his IG.

I was mostly looking for insight from people who have worked with time under tension rather than increasing the load to develop gains and muscle control. It looks like popular bodybuilders Julian Smith and Uzoma Obilor follow that method but I wanted a second opinion from you guys.

Agree 100% Well said.

I was mostly looking for insight from people who have worked with time under tension rather than increasing the load to develop gains and muscle control. It looks like popular bodybuilders Julian Smith and Uzoma Obilor follow that method but I wanted a second opinion from you guys.

I hear you. The first 8 months of last year I went strictly compound lifts in every workout, doing my 5x5 and that’s it. Strength went up a little bit, but size wise the needle wasn’t budging because that’s not how you train for hypertrophy...at all.

Time under tension, maximal muscle stretch, and creating an occlusion in the muscle are essential for hypertrophy. The last few months I’ve really gotten serious trying new exercises that focused on just that: putting the joint in position to create more muscle stretch, trying to induce more mechanical damage (DOMS), contracted position exercises, etc. the result?

712076F7-00EA-4E52-B1C1-DDBAE44B975B.jpeg

This is the last 2 months. The prior was over two and a half years of work.

Definitely recommend athlean x for a lot of new bodybuilding type movements. He does a great job of putting max tension on muscles and increasing the stretch to induce more damage. Tried this last night for chest...

Incredible burn and stretch. I only used like 12.5lbs on the cable for about 15 reps, 5 seconds per.

Agree 100% Well said.

I hear you. The first 8 months of last year I went strictly compound lifts in every workout, doing my 5x5 and that’s it. Strength went up a little bit, but size wise the needle wasn’t budging because that’s not how you train for hypertrophy...at all.

Time under tension, maximal muscle stretch, and creating an occlusion in the muscle are essential for hypertrophy. The last few months I’ve really gotten serious trying new exercises that focused on just that: putting the joint in position to create more muscle stretch, trying to induce more mechanical damage (DOMS), contracted position exercises, etc. the result?

712076F7-00EA-4E52-B1C1-DDBAE44B975B.jpeg

This is the last 2 months. The prior was over two and a half years of work.

Definitely recommend athlean x for a lot of new bodybuilding type movements. He does a great job of putting max tension on muscles and increasing the stretch to induce more damage. Tried this last night for chest...

Incredible burn and stretch. I only used like 12.5lbs on the cable for about 15 reps, 5 seconds per.

Thanks.

I'm definitely on the athlean x wave for functional and athletic strength.

I sometimes can't get down with some of his anti-bodybuilding techniques (i.e no leg extension and anti stretch before working out) but he is still one of the best fitness youtubers out.

Thanks.

I'm definitely on the athlean x wave for functional and athletic strength.

I sometimes can't get down with some of his anti-bodybuilding techniques (i.e no leg extension and anti stretch before working out) but he is still one of the best fitness youtubers out.

Yeah I don’t mess with the leg extension. I’ve read the same things about the shearing forces it places on the knee. I’ve also read some testimonies that say the opposite but I’d rather leave them along. I agree with him on the no stretching before weight lifting as well.

But a lot of the stuff I’ve picked up from him (i.e. dangers of upright rows/behind the neck exercises, tests for different inflexibilities/weaknesses, techniques) have helped a ton. I cringe now a little inside when I see people at my gym doing behind the neck pulldowns and upright rows. Seems like I see it way more now than ever before, but maybe I’m just noticing it more.

Olympus Olympus Behind the neck anything definitely makes me cringe. The risk:reward principle is not worth itr. Might feel like you're getting a great pump, but your rotator tendons are probably wearing away gradually, among other things.

Depends a lot on anatomy too. If you have a Type 1 acromion, it might not be as risky. Still wouldn't mess with it.

Benching with full ROM is also risky depending on anatomy and in my personal experience.

Last edited:
Olympus Olympus Behind the neck anything definitely makes me cringe. The risk:reward principle is not worth itr. Might feel like you're getting a great pump, but your rotator tendons are probably wearing away gradually, among other things.

Depends a lot on anatomy too. If you have a Type ! acromion, it might not be as risky. Still wouldn't mess with it.

Benching with full ROM is also risky depending on anatomy and in my personal experience.

Anatomy meaning those with longer limbs, right?

Anatomy meaning those with longer limbs, right?

I guess morphology is a better word. Yeah I've always looked at it as though people with longer arms and narrower chests like myself are more at risk than people with barrel chests and shorter arms.

More ROM for the at risk group causes the shoulder to to rotate anteriorly during the eccentric phase, compromising the capsule, ligaments and other structures.

Mobility plays a role too.

Evan Williams is gross. Some Kentucky Gentleman/Heaven Hill level ****. Try Buffalo Trace or Bulleit. Both are around $30/fifth where I am.
If you are looking for some good ones to try, W.L. Weller is made at the Buffalo Trace distillery. Elijah Craig is good. Best bang for buck, great bourbon at a great price is Woodford Reserve.

Just started pt this morning for rotator cuff injury that has been hampering me for last 17 years. Hope this goes well. Wife insists I get in the gym with her hitting the weights. Nagging injuries just sap motivation. Going to push through this.

Feel like I haven’t checked in here in a min. Did I miss any soundviews?

I’ve been struggling in the gym recently in terms of strength. My mind just tires out. Body is looking though. I’m maintaining between 171-174 yet I’m swimming at the waist in my jeans.

Feel like I haven’t checked in here in a min. Did I miss any soundviews?

I’ve been struggling in the gym recently in terms of strength. My mind just tires out. Body is looking though. I’m maintaining between 171-174 yet I’m swimming at the waist in my jeans.

You take any pre-workouts or carb loading before you hit the gym?

You take any pre-workouts or carb loading before you hit the gym?
Both. My reps and pump are there but strength is slightly lacking. 2 straight weeks of not being able to get close to my max on bench and DL. Just gonna keep working. I’m sure next week I’ll be fine

Both. My reps and pump are there but strength is slightly lacking. 2 straight weeks of not being able to get close to my max on bench and DL. Just gonna keep working. I’m sure next week I’ll be fine

I feel you and I'm kinda there right now lol. One of the powerlifters at my gym always tells me to break down the movements in the lift so that I can develop the strength to max out and PR.

Like rack pulls for deadlifts, box squats before real squats etc. I really haven't done the work for it though but there are some monsters in this thread that I am sure will have some insight.

It’s the best. That’s the worst room in the gym too.

They got everything from strong man stuff like tires and stones to bodybuilding and everything in between.

There is probably over 50 various rogue bars in there.

Look up los campeones on ig.

Rest Day Thursday

Pull Day- Friday:

DL
W/U
5/31 Work Sets (done RPT)
Jokers @ 340, 360, 375

Pendlay Row 3x5
Chin-ups 3x8, straight sets
WGPDs 3x10
V-Bar Pulldowns 2x10
Seated Cable Row 3x10
Hammer Strength Row 3x10
Iso-Lateral Row 2x12
Weighted Hypers 3x10
Face Pulls 3x10
BB Shrugs 3x12
EZ-Bar Curls 3x10
Hammer Curls 3x8
Machine Preacher Curl 2x10
Reverse Barbebll Curl 3x10
Wrist Curls 3x15

Push day today.

I feel you and I'm kinda there right now lol. One of the powerlifters at my gym always tells me to break down the movements in the lift so that I can develop the strength to max out and PR.

Like rack pulls for deadlifts, box squats before real squats etc. I really haven't done the work for it though but there are some monsters in this thread that I am sure will have some insight.

Not a monster by any means, but I'll chime in anyway.

What I would do is work on speed. Majority of time when you see people miss reps at max/near-max weight, it's because the bar speed fell so low that they get it stuck in their weak point and can't re-accelerate it before reaching failure.

Assuming your food/sleep/recovery is on point, my advice would be to:
1) do specific weak point/assistance exercises: e.g. SQ (Paused SQ; Box SQ; Dead SQ; Front SQ);
DL (Rack Pulls; Deficit DL; Bent-Over Rows; RDLs);
BP (CGBP; DB Press; Weighted Dips; Rack Lockouts, etc);
and also incorporate more core/weighted core work.

2) do more speed work. One of the best ways to blow past sticking points is to literally blow through them. Focus on the above exercises, but also start incorporating speed work at least once a week. Do 6-10 triples focusing on moving the bar as fast as possible while still using proper form. Add weight gradually to the speed work and you will see the carryover to ME attempts.

Push Day:

*BP: 5/3/1, RPT
W/U
190x5
215x3
240x5
Jokers: 2x250 (rep PR), 1x265, 1x280 (current 1RM)

*OHP: 5/3/1, RPT
W/U
115x5
130x3
140x5
Jokers: 1x150, 1x160, 1x170 (PR tie)

*Incline Bench 3x5
*DB Bench 3x8
*DB Shoulder Press 3x10
*Close-Grip Bench Press 3x8
Decline Chest Press 3x12
DB Side Lateral Raises 3x10