STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

Anyone have tips for breathing "around the belt" when deadlifting?  

I started using a belt on my heavier sets and this thing is throwing me in for a loop. I feel my core and glutes arent as engaged as when I'm going beltless?  I've watched youtube videos on it but would love some more advice.
Of course you want the belt tight as possible but leave some space so you can breath into the belt. Pushing your core through the belt. That will keep your core tight and safe. AS you sit really pull the slack out the bar so it can sit onto your hamstrings. 

Kinda sucks that your crossfit downsized. That's unfortunate. Sheesh. Your oly room was 1800 square feet alone..

That was the size of my first crossfit gym. The whole thing.

My newest crossfit gym is significantly bigger. I believe 10000 square feet alrogether. But, no dedicated oly rooms.

When we do oly classes, we do it on one side of this huge rig and they hold the crossfit classes on the other side.
Atleast you have room to do them. We don't have the space.  Most gyms are atleast 5000 sq ft.

What gym are attending?  Is your first gym group is the same as your current one, just a different facility.

I love the people I am with by I need space. (laughing)

I am now down to Crossfit 404 or Crossfit Terminus

Lol at anybody paying hundreds of dollars in initiation fees in addition to over $100 a month for a gym.

You can buy a two year pass at costco for 24hourfitness sport for $370. Thats about $15 month with no initiation fees.

Last edited:
Of course you want the belt tight as possible but leave some space so you can breath into the belt. Pushing your core through the belt. That will keep your core tight and safe. AS you sit really pull the slack out the bar so it can sit onto your hamstrings. 

right on coach. will try this tonight.

might be time to retighten my belt. it's been hell breaking in this inzer belt, i actually went up a notch so I could fit a hoody under as added protection during the break in period.

right on coach. will try this tonight.

might be time to retighten my belt. it's been hell breaking in this inzer belt, i actually went up a notch so I could fit a hoody under as added protection during the break in period.
I got you brotha! :wink: check out my channel I got some good tips and mobility stuff.
Man I use to never squat in a belt got so use to it. But once I got to the big boy weights o wanted a belt so I can keep my core tight. Felt super weird and awkward at first lol. But once in breaks in and I got use to breathing with it. It works wonders.

I got you brotha! :wink: check out my channel I got some good tips and mobility stuff.
Man I use to never squat in a belt got so use to it. But once I got to the big boy weights o wanted a belt so I can keep my core tight. Felt super weird and awkward at first lol. But once in breaks in and I got use to breathing with it. It works wonders.

Sub'd

I feel you on the belt. I didn't want to get one till I hit certain numbers and once I did it it was actually discouraging at first cause I felt like I was relearning everything lol.

Sub'd

I feel you on the belt. I didn't want to get one till I hit certain numbers and once I did it it was actually discouraging at first cause I felt like I was relearning everything lol.
Appreciate that brotha means a lot!
I know them feels bro haha. I said the same thing. Then I got a belt as a gift so I said might as well and the relearning began lol

UFC and Crossfit two different gyms.. But the most I've seen is $185 a month for Crossfit gyms. You have to take into consideration locations and demands.  Georgia  is the capital of Crossfit. There's more crossfire gyms in Georgia than any state in America.

I can't speak on UFC gym but I heard they're pricey too.

1. California
2. Florida
3. New York

Atlanta does have a ton though. Switching gyms is tough, but if you have a chance to get coached by Ben Benson at Terminus, I would jump on that. Especially since you compete.

1. California
2. Florida
3. New York

Atlanta does have a ton though. Switching gyms is tough, but if you have a chance to get coached by Ben Benson at Terminus, I would jump on that. Especially since you compete.
Glad to know.  My current gym owner told me that B.S. about Atlanta having the most. 

Yeah, I think that's the big up. I read the reviews that he's an *******, but I just need to see this for myself. 

I'll make a decision by the end of this week.

It seems like every crossfit personality I follow on instagram are from cali lol. Nobody from ny.

I do know there's a lot of gyms in NY though. Didn't realize ny would be ranked 3.

ran into the owner of in4mation (streetwear shop here in hawaii) this past weekend. he looks super fit now. told me he started skateboarding more and has been doing crossfit. can't knock that.

For you crossfit heads, are there any lifts/exercises that you couldn't give two ***** about?

For me, it's rope climbing. :lol: Hate it with a passion.

Handstand anything...

Being that my arms are so long, it just take so much to do the handstand push-up.

And I can only hold my balance and walk 2 steps and a half lol.

Last edited:
For you crossfit heads, are there any lifts/exercises that you couldn't give two ***** about?

For me, it's rope climbing. :lol: Hate it with a passion.

Hated sdhp

There was also a movement that I never learned. Don't remember the name of it. I can barely describe it. But you're sort of in a side plank position and you're holding the weight up with one arm. You stand up with it, and then you return to the side-plankish position.

*edit

Never done handstand anything

I cannot do pistols

Last edited:
Turkish Get Up...

Honestly Pistols, hate doing them, hate when they are programmed.

I'm cool with being upside down and rope climbs.

SDHP... Not a fan. :lol:

Anybody have any recommendations for stretching the bottom of the feet or anything?

I'm on my feet all day at work walking about 30,000-40,000 steps and then with hitting the gym, I get home and the bottom of my feet kill me. Rolling them on a frozen water bottle helps for a little but not for long. I guess it's "Plantar Fasciitis." After laying down and going to stand up is the worst.

Anybody? Can't be the only one. Thanks.

Anybody have any recommendations for stretching the bottom of the feet or anything?

I'm on my feet all day at work walking about 30,000-40,000 steps and then with hitting the gym, I get home and the bottom of my feet kill me. Rolling them on a frozen water bottle helps for a little but not for long. I guess it's "Plantar Fasciitis." After laying down and going to stand up is the worst.

Anybody? Can't be the only one. Thanks.
Rolling my foot on a lacrosse ball seems to help some when I have sore feet.  I've heard of others using tennis balls too

What happened to Elliott Hulse? Dude took a year hiatus and came back on some hood ****. Marketing angle?

Anyone have tips for breathing "around the belt" when deadlifting?  
I started using a belt on my heavier sets and this thing is throwing me in for a loop. I feel my core and glutes arent as engaged as when I'm going beltless?  I've watched youtube videos on it but would love some more advice.

Make sure to properly use your diaphragm when breathing, especially with a belt. Try to breathe into your stomach, which will expand your abdomen against the belt creating intra abdominal pressure like J said. It takes a little while to get used to but once you do you'll definitely see an improvement.

What you guys suggest, I been taking a preworkout for about week and a half and i don't eat 2 hrs prior of taking it and workout 20-30 after, i feel my whole body tingly and its uncomfortable.. Should I eat and then take it or what yall think? Also can I take vitamin Pak with the pre?

Back
Top Bottom