The Official NBA Collective Bargaining Thread vol Phased in Hard Cap

I don't mind a shortened season, last time it happened a lot of great players entered the league. Also less injuries would happen due to wear and tear.

Originally Posted by JUS3

I wouldn't mind a short season. When you add the playoff schedule, the NBA season is *+$# long. 

This is the part most forget.  Basketball runs from November to June pretty much.  That's a long $@# time.  I'm good with 50 games.  Just bring hoops ASAP.

I wouldn't mind a short season. When you add the playoff schedule, the NBA season is *+$# long. 

This is the part most forget.  Basketball runs from November to June pretty much.  That's a long $@# time.  I'm good with 50 games.  Just bring hoops ASAP.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

With Arena Dates Given Up, NBA Schedule Becomes Moot

More NBA games will be canceled soon, perhaps today or tomorrow or next week. The timing hardly matters anymore. The schedule, at least as it was presented in July, is already worthless.

Two weeks of games have been canceled. The rest of November’s games will be wiped out soon. And at least two arenas, in Los Angeles and Chicago, have reassigned some December dates for other events, with the NBA’s blessing.

To be clear, the league is not secretly canceling the December schedule — the Los Angeles Lakers and the Chicago Bulls were assured of alternate nights to replace those they surrendered — but the decision to release those arena dates underscores the obsolescence of the published schedule.

Whenever the lockout is resolved, the NBA will build a new schedule from scratch, using all arena dates that are still reserved, according to people who are aware of the league’s plans. NBA officials declined to discuss the issue Tuesday.

Thus, the decision to formally announce cancellations is an academic exercise, and perhaps a bit of political theater. The announcements serve as a warning shot to the league’s 430-plus players, a reminder that they are losing hundreds of millions of dollars.

So far, the NBA has canceled 100 games, scheduled for Nov. 1 to 14. The next cancellation announcement would cover the balance of the November schedule, at a minimum. Or the league could elect to postpone all games indefinitely.

Most NBA players receive their first paychecks on Nov. 15. As a practical matter, those paychecks are already gone, representing about $175 million in lost pay.

The money could theoretically be recovered if the lockout is resolved soon, and if the NBA finds a way to squeeze in an 82-game schedule. But there are many obstacles, primarily the lack of available arena dates, and Commissioner David Stern has repeatedly signaled that the games will not be made up.

It will take three to four weeks for the NBA to start the season once a labor deal is reached. The cancellations are loosely based on that timeline.

When the NBA canceled the first 100 games of the season earlier this month, it immediately released its 29 arenas from any obligations for those dates. For now, the arenas are still bound to honor the printed schedule from Nov. 15 and beyond. There are two notable exceptions.

A Lakers game at Staples Center against the Toronto Raptors, scheduled for Dec. 13, has been dropped in favor of a Jay-Z and Kanye West concert, The Orange County Register reported last week. The change was made with the NBA’s approval and with assurances that the Lakers-Raptors game could be accommodated on another night.

The league clarified in a statement that the change was not an indication that December games had been canceled, but rather that the printed schedule was defunct.

“With the cancellation of the first two weeks of the season, the NBA schedule would have to be reworked and certain dates — including Dec. 13 for a Lakers game at Staples Center — would not be part of any revised schedule,

With Arena Dates Given Up, NBA Schedule Becomes Moot

More NBA games will be canceled soon, perhaps today or tomorrow or next week. The timing hardly matters anymore. The schedule, at least as it was presented in July, is already worthless.

Two weeks of games have been canceled. The rest of November’s games will be wiped out soon. And at least two arenas, in Los Angeles and Chicago, have reassigned some December dates for other events, with the NBA’s blessing.

To be clear, the league is not secretly canceling the December schedule — the Los Angeles Lakers and the Chicago Bulls were assured of alternate nights to replace those they surrendered — but the decision to release those arena dates underscores the obsolescence of the published schedule.

Whenever the lockout is resolved, the NBA will build a new schedule from scratch, using all arena dates that are still reserved, according to people who are aware of the league’s plans. NBA officials declined to discuss the issue Tuesday.

Thus, the decision to formally announce cancellations is an academic exercise, and perhaps a bit of political theater. The announcements serve as a warning shot to the league’s 430-plus players, a reminder that they are losing hundreds of millions of dollars.

So far, the NBA has canceled 100 games, scheduled for Nov. 1 to 14. The next cancellation announcement would cover the balance of the November schedule, at a minimum. Or the league could elect to postpone all games indefinitely.

Most NBA players receive their first paychecks on Nov. 15. As a practical matter, those paychecks are already gone, representing about $175 million in lost pay.

The money could theoretically be recovered if the lockout is resolved soon, and if the NBA finds a way to squeeze in an 82-game schedule. But there are many obstacles, primarily the lack of available arena dates, and Commissioner David Stern has repeatedly signaled that the games will not be made up.

It will take three to four weeks for the NBA to start the season once a labor deal is reached. The cancellations are loosely based on that timeline.

When the NBA canceled the first 100 games of the season earlier this month, it immediately released its 29 arenas from any obligations for those dates. For now, the arenas are still bound to honor the printed schedule from Nov. 15 and beyond. There are two notable exceptions.

A Lakers game at Staples Center against the Toronto Raptors, scheduled for Dec. 13, has been dropped in favor of a Jay-Z and Kanye West concert, The Orange County Register reported last week. The change was made with the NBA’s approval and with assurances that the Lakers-Raptors game could be accommodated on another night.

The league clarified in a statement that the change was not an indication that December games had been canceled, but rather that the printed schedule was defunct.

“With the cancellation of the first two weeks of the season, the NBA schedule would have to be reworked and certain dates — including Dec. 13 for a Lakers game at Staples Center — would not be part of any revised schedule,

I miss the NBA so much. Just knowing it should be starting up. NBA is by far my favorite sport this is tough...

I miss the NBA so much. Just knowing it should be starting up. NBA is by far my favorite sport this is tough...

As much as I love the NBA and miss it, I'm better off without it right now. I'm in the middle of student teaching, so I need all my focus and effort towards lesson planning and completing assignments. When the semester ends in mid December, I'll have about five weeks to relax, so hopefully the NBA returns by then. 
eyes.gif

As much as I love the NBA and miss it, I'm better off without it right now. I'm in the middle of student teaching, so I need all my focus and effort towards lesson planning and completing assignments. When the semester ends in mid December, I'll have about five weeks to relax, so hopefully the NBA returns by then. 
eyes.gif

THIS

Need to get rid of the 7 game 1st round asap.
Hell, I could honestly go the first 2 rounds with 5 games series.

THIS

Need to get rid of the 7 game 1st round asap.
Hell, I could honestly go the first 2 rounds with 5 games series.

[h1]Report: NBA talks to resume Wednesday [/h1]Posted Oct 26 2011 12:54AM - Updated Oct 26 2011 1:24AM
NEW YORK (AP) -- Officials from the NBA and players' association will meet Wednesday, less than a week after three days of talks with a federal mediator couldn't produce a deal to end the lockout, a person with knowledge of the plans said.

Talks broke down last Thursday after players said owners insisted they agree to a 50-50 split of revenues before they would further discuss the salary cap system. By not reaching an agreement last week, the NBA will likely be forced to cancel more games to go with the two weeks that were already scrapped.

There was a far nastier tone than usual to the breakdown, with union president Derek Fisher of the Lakers accusing Deputy Commissioner Adam Silver and Spurs owner Peter Holt, chairman of the league's labor relations committee, of lying during their press conference.

But just as they have multiple times this month when they walked away from the table without another meeting scheduled, the sides are getting back at it relatively quickly.

The meeting, first reported by the Daily News of New York, will be small groups from each side, the person told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because details of the negotiations were to remain private. Commissioner David Stern will take part after he was forced to miss the session last Thursday because of an illness.

Stern said without a deal last week, he feared games could be lost right through Christmas. The sides tried, spending 30 hours together while meeting for three straight days for the first time since the lockout began July 1. They made some progress on minor issues, but continue to be stuck on the two main ones.

Players proposed lowering their guarantee of basketball-related income to 52.5 percent, leaving the sides about $100 million apart annually based on last season's revenues. They are also sparring over the length of contracts and the raises attached to them, along with the penalties teams would face for exceeding the luxury tax level.

[h1]Report: NBA talks to resume Wednesday [/h1]Posted Oct 26 2011 12:54AM - Updated Oct 26 2011 1:24AM
NEW YORK (AP) -- Officials from the NBA and players' association will meet Wednesday, less than a week after three days of talks with a federal mediator couldn't produce a deal to end the lockout, a person with knowledge of the plans said.

Talks broke down last Thursday after players said owners insisted they agree to a 50-50 split of revenues before they would further discuss the salary cap system. By not reaching an agreement last week, the NBA will likely be forced to cancel more games to go with the two weeks that were already scrapped.

There was a far nastier tone than usual to the breakdown, with union president Derek Fisher of the Lakers accusing Deputy Commissioner Adam Silver and Spurs owner Peter Holt, chairman of the league's labor relations committee, of lying during their press conference.

But just as they have multiple times this month when they walked away from the table without another meeting scheduled, the sides are getting back at it relatively quickly.

The meeting, first reported by the Daily News of New York, will be small groups from each side, the person told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because details of the negotiations were to remain private. Commissioner David Stern will take part after he was forced to miss the session last Thursday because of an illness.

Stern said without a deal last week, he feared games could be lost right through Christmas. The sides tried, spending 30 hours together while meeting for three straight days for the first time since the lockout began July 1. They made some progress on minor issues, but continue to be stuck on the two main ones.

Players proposed lowering their guarantee of basketball-related income to 52.5 percent, leaving the sides about $100 million apart annually based on last season's revenues. They are also sparring over the length of contracts and the raises attached to them, along with the penalties teams would face for exceeding the luxury tax level.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Originally Posted by mgrand15

Originally Posted by MyJaysGetRocked

Am I the only one who feels this world tour is a bad idea? I feel that it shows how "selfish" players really are. What about all these non-superstar players? How are they supposed to attain any sort of income? It's much easier for Superstars, who are already set financially to earn side income as opposed to the other 350 players in the league.
If the other 350 players want to earn money so bad, they could've gone overseas like a bunch of players did. It's insured and they come back to the NBA once the lockout is over. There are a TON of players playing overseas making money (horrible players and franchise players), if they wanted to do it, they could've. I think people and the media are underrating how prepared the large majority of these guys are for the lockout. The knuckleheads that are living pay check to pay check can easily go to Europe and play ball. It won't be NBA money but its still 6 figures after taxes, home, cars, etc.
Euro teams (the only teams that NBA players would go to outside of China) only allow two foreign-born players per team. So 350 guys can't just find another job somewhere else in the world. And if they go to China, they're stuck there until the end of the Chinese season. And it's well-documented that Europe isn't a guaranteed paycheck (bounced checks are common). It's not some magical backup plan, it's a tremendous risk and not feasible for most players, especially those relying on a guarantee. And if Chris Paul decides he wants to play on a team, you know damn well that team is taking him over Joe Schmo from the crop of 350+ players. So no, there aren't a lot of options for those lesser players.
Do you know how many basketball teams there are around the world? I'm not saying 350 players could easily find jobs but if you're an NBA player and you're worried about money, you could've EASILY gone to Europe. Obviously, if Chris Paul wants to play in Brazil, he's got a job but the scrubs haven't had trouble finding jobs. Trevor Booker, Austin Daye, Semih Erden, Alonzo Gee, Danny Green, Gani Lawal, Magnum Rolle, Pape Sy. That's just a couple dudes that have signed overseas. All of those guys are late 1st rounders or 2nd rounders still on the rookie scale. My dude Darko is turning down offers! Scalabrine has a job!
laugh.gif
Yeah, there's a limited amount of jobs but if you were worried about money, you wouldn't have waited until the middle of the Euro-season to try and get money. Contracts are insured, you come back to the NBA if the lockout ends. How is it not feasible?

Yeah, if all 300 players decide to go overseas (not going to happen unless NBA is shut down), there's gonna be issues but the majority of the NBA seems to be alright and they're willing to lose money for the principle.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Originally Posted by mgrand15

Originally Posted by MyJaysGetRocked

Am I the only one who feels this world tour is a bad idea? I feel that it shows how "selfish" players really are. What about all these non-superstar players? How are they supposed to attain any sort of income? It's much easier for Superstars, who are already set financially to earn side income as opposed to the other 350 players in the league.
If the other 350 players want to earn money so bad, they could've gone overseas like a bunch of players did. It's insured and they come back to the NBA once the lockout is over. There are a TON of players playing overseas making money (horrible players and franchise players), if they wanted to do it, they could've. I think people and the media are underrating how prepared the large majority of these guys are for the lockout. The knuckleheads that are living pay check to pay check can easily go to Europe and play ball. It won't be NBA money but its still 6 figures after taxes, home, cars, etc.
Euro teams (the only teams that NBA players would go to outside of China) only allow two foreign-born players per team. So 350 guys can't just find another job somewhere else in the world. And if they go to China, they're stuck there until the end of the Chinese season. And it's well-documented that Europe isn't a guaranteed paycheck (bounced checks are common). It's not some magical backup plan, it's a tremendous risk and not feasible for most players, especially those relying on a guarantee. And if Chris Paul decides he wants to play on a team, you know damn well that team is taking him over Joe Schmo from the crop of 350+ players. So no, there aren't a lot of options for those lesser players.
Do you know how many basketball teams there are around the world? I'm not saying 350 players could easily find jobs but if you're an NBA player and you're worried about money, you could've EASILY gone to Europe. Obviously, if Chris Paul wants to play in Brazil, he's got a job but the scrubs haven't had trouble finding jobs. Trevor Booker, Austin Daye, Semih Erden, Alonzo Gee, Danny Green, Gani Lawal, Magnum Rolle, Pape Sy. That's just a couple dudes that have signed overseas. All of those guys are late 1st rounders or 2nd rounders still on the rookie scale. My dude Darko is turning down offers! Scalabrine has a job!
laugh.gif
Yeah, there's a limited amount of jobs but if you were worried about money, you wouldn't have waited until the middle of the Euro-season to try and get money. Contracts are insured, you come back to the NBA if the lockout ends. How is it not feasible?

Yeah, if all 300 players decide to go overseas (not going to happen unless NBA is shut down), there's gonna be issues but the majority of the NBA seems to be alright and they're willing to lose money for the principle.

Back
Top Bottom