The Official NBA Collective Bargaining Thread vol Phased in Hard Cap

im sure with the meeting the players have tomorrow they will agree on a deal very soon, especially if what Brussard said is true. 50-50 is bad but 54-46 is getting screwed big time. its time for the players to just tap out and call it quits and get back to making money.

If thats true about Hunter he needs to be done as soon as the deal is done

These dumb players are going to end up getting the short end of the stick
30t6p3b.gif
the owners are successful businessmen for a reason.

These dumb players are going to end up getting the short end of the stick
30t6p3b.gif
the owners are successful businessmen for a reason.

Is that dissension in the ranks, I hear?

iambigbaby11 Glen Davis
Take the 51% man and let's play.

Is that dissension in the ranks, I hear?

iambigbaby11 Glen Davis
Take the 51% man and let's play.

i am all for the players and stand by them... i dont think they should take a paycut... yes they make millions but its the principle... with that being said i think they should agree to the 50/50 deal... i say this because i think the deal will get much worse for the players as they season goes on and games will be missed and no checks handed out...and not only that but with them losing money through out the season it defeats the purpose of getting a deal thats 52-53 percent when there is lost games...i hope theres an nba season and i hope the players think wisely about what their doing... its been obvious that the owners are not playing and standing their ground and won't cave in... they run the league now... it sucks...

i am all for the players and stand by them... i dont think they should take a paycut... yes they make millions but its the principle... with that being said i think they should agree to the 50/50 deal... i say this because i think the deal will get much worse for the players as they season goes on and games will be missed and no checks handed out...and not only that but with them losing money through out the season it defeats the purpose of getting a deal thats 52-53 percent when there is lost games...i hope theres an nba season and i hope the players think wisely about what their doing... its been obvious that the owners are not playing and standing their ground and won't cave in... they run the league now... it sucks...

Except for Arison spazzing out on Twitter last week, I'm a little surprised how on the same page the owners seem to be. You know that some of them, like Cuban and Buss, for example are probably dying for the season to get started, but you don't hear anything from any of them individually. Nor do they seem to be exerting pressure on Stern or the other owners to move off the 50-50 deal. I know that the worse the deal gets for the players, the better it is for all the owners, but I would have thought a least some of them would be more vocal about wanting to get a deal done. Of course, maybe they've known all along that if they say anything publicly, Stern will bring the hammer down on them like he did with Arison.

Except for Arison spazzing out on Twitter last week, I'm a little surprised how on the same page the owners seem to be. You know that some of them, like Cuban and Buss, for example are probably dying for the season to get started, but you don't hear anything from any of them individually. Nor do they seem to be exerting pressure on Stern or the other owners to move off the 50-50 deal. I know that the worse the deal gets for the players, the better it is for all the owners, but I would have thought a least some of them would be more vocal about wanting to get a deal done. Of course, maybe they've known all along that if they say anything publicly, Stern will bring the hammer down on them like he did with Arison.

Originally Posted by CP1708

PMatic wrote:
Hunter said BRI does not represent the total revenues generated by the league, and that the league is allowed to take hundreds of millions in "expense credits" which leave the players with less than the agreed-upon percentage of revenues

Help me out a sec, when we talk BRI, it's all encompassing.  Every dollar generated by the league, merchandise, beer consessions, ticket sales, TV revenue, etc.  All put into one pool, and then split out from there for the 30 teams. 

My question is, the teams then can make their own money from other areas, like seperate TV deals (local) and renting out the arena for concerts and such.  That is all outside of the 4+ billion in BRI, correct?  This is the money that people are claiming is unfair and what not, correct? 

Or is the total money not split evenly in the 4 billion BRI?  Things based on like attendance and what not, I have always assumed that was all lumped in, but is that money left alone to each team, even if it's league generated? 

That's what the players have been arguing. They get X of Y but there's more to Y than what's really there.

Originally Posted by CP1708

PMatic wrote:
Hunter said BRI does not represent the total revenues generated by the league, and that the league is allowed to take hundreds of millions in "expense credits" which leave the players with less than the agreed-upon percentage of revenues

Help me out a sec, when we talk BRI, it's all encompassing.  Every dollar generated by the league, merchandise, beer consessions, ticket sales, TV revenue, etc.  All put into one pool, and then split out from there for the 30 teams. 

My question is, the teams then can make their own money from other areas, like seperate TV deals (local) and renting out the arena for concerts and such.  That is all outside of the 4+ billion in BRI, correct?  This is the money that people are claiming is unfair and what not, correct? 

Or is the total money not split evenly in the 4 billion BRI?  Things based on like attendance and what not, I have always assumed that was all lumped in, but is that money left alone to each team, even if it's league generated? 

That's what the players have been arguing. They get X of Y but there's more to Y than what's really there.

i thought the 50 50 means the system will be much harsher and that the 47 53 is what the players would get

Originally Posted by lawdog1

Na.  I mean, as much as a player's owner a guy like Cuban is, I think he'd like to recoup his losses since he bought the Mavs.  I dunno the number but I think he lost something like 150 million since he bought the team. 

I'm sure he'd do it all over again just to win the chip last year but owners are just monetary driven by nature.  if they get the opportunity to improve their bottom line they're gunna take it and keep their mouths shut.

Originally Posted by lawdog1

Na.  I mean, as much as a player's owner a guy like Cuban is, I think he'd like to recoup his losses since he bought the Mavs.  I dunno the number but I think he lost something like 150 million since he bought the team. 

I'm sure he'd do it all over again just to win the chip last year but owners are just monetary driven by nature.  if they get the opportunity to improve their bottom line they're gunna take it and keep their mouths shut.

i thought the 50 50 means the system will be much harsher and that the 47 53 is what the players would get

Originally Posted by DubA169

50/50 is the best case for the players right now. 53 is out of the question when it's clear they'll go as low as 52 (so far). It all means nothing until the rank and file miss a paycheck or two. It's only a matter of time at this point before the union caves and they better pray the owners still have the 50/50 deal on the table.

Originally Posted by DubA169

50/50 is the best case for the players right now. 53 is out of the question when it's clear they'll go as low as 52 (so far). It all means nothing until the rank and file miss a paycheck or two. It's only a matter of time at this point before the union caves and they better pray the owners still have the 50/50 deal on the table.

Originally Posted by gangsta207therevolution

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Even in NY why would STAT be in an apartment?
Buying would make much more sense in that situation. If his rent is in the 50k area what was he thinking?
Either the NY apatment was a luxury for when he played, and he is making a smart move, or it was a luxury that became too costly, and he should have bought.
I'm with you on that....don't know why he just didn't buy.

Here's his apartment:

Link

Thats a dope apartment/ condo, but with those means, I wouldnt ever rent. ESP in NY. But this one def falls into the luxury thats not worth maintaining if im going to be everywhere but NY til a deal is in place.
Some people with the realestate market being in the pooper are doing this... for reasons that still baffle me.
finding a property that you can improve is still a 3 times better option than buying a turnkey property at market value or renting imo.

You gotta look at it from his perspective tho. As a professional athlete your intention is not to make millions off of property. With no guarantee of where youll be playin next year commiting to a property is not a smart idea. Especially when you dont have your own family. Like Amare he only signed a what, 5 yr deal with New York?

Say rents 50k a month, so 500k/yr. They said the penthouse was on the market for 16 mil. 500k/yr rent over 5 years is 2.5 mil. That 16 mil doesnt even account for property taxes, which is 13% a year in New York so like 2mil/year. Then association fees, maintenece fees, upkeep etc etc. None of which you wanna be tied down if you leave/retire/move and all that

Renting over buying he's obviously gonna save a lot of money. Buying and hoping the market turns around at the right time for you to sell is closer to gambling really

But what do i kno my rents 700 bucks a month
laugh.gif

Even in NY why would STAT be in an apartment?
Buying would make much more sense in that situation. If his rent is in the 50k area what was he thinking?
Either the NY apatment was a luxury for when he played, and he is making a smart move, or it was a luxury that became too costly, and he should have bought.

Here's his apartment:

Link

Thats a dope apartment/ condo, but with those means, I wouldnt ever rent. ESP in NY. But this one def falls into the luxury thats not worth maintaining if im going to be everywhere but NY til a deal is in place.
Some people with the realestate market being in the pooper are doing this... for reasons that still baffle me.
finding a property that you can improve is still a 3 times better option than buying a turnkey property at market value or renting imo.

You gotta look at it from his perspective tho. As a professional athlete your intention is not to make millions off of property. With no guarantee of where youll be playin next year commiting to a property is not a smart idea. Especially when you dont have your own family. Like Amare he only signed a what, 5 yr deal with New York?

Say rents 50k a month, so 500k/yr. They said the penthouse was on the market for 16 mil. 500k/yr rent over 5 years is 2.5 mil. That 16 mil doesnt even account for property taxes, which is 13% a year in New York so like 2mil/year. Then association fees, maintenece fees, upkeep etc etc. None of which you wanna be tied down if you leave/retire/move and all that

Renting over buying he's obviously gonna save a lot of money. Buying and hoping the market turns around at the right time for you to sell is closer to gambling really

laugh.gif

if a deal isnt reached by this weekend, this crap aint ending and if ever does end. the owners will come out on top by a large margin. they will get what they want if the stupid players dont agree already.

i dont even care about the situation anymore. these guys want their money, they already have contracts. just agree and play already.

if a deal isnt reached by this weekend, this crap aint ending and if ever does end. the owners will come out on top by a large margin. they will get what they want if the stupid players dont agree already.

i dont even care about the situation anymore. these guys want their money, they already have contracts. just agree and play already.

Originally Posted by foreveryoung

Here's his apartment:

Link

laugh.gif

rent for that place is a song at 37.5.
But a townhome at a signifigant lower price is better. Converting a 4-5 flat is best. There are ways to make it a much less of a gamble. You just got to know them. People are still making profits off buildings every where in the country. Non distressed auctions are prob the best way to sell a home right now, and saying yeah Im only gone end up paying 2.25 million over the life of my NBA contract doesnt cut it. He wanted that terrace and I dont blame him  but a reasonable risk at say 5 million would have been better.

Originally Posted by foreveryoung

Here's his apartment:

Link

laugh.gif

rent for that place is a song at 37.5.
But a townhome at a signifigant lower price is better. Converting a 4-5 flat is best. There are ways to make it a much less of a gamble. You just got to know them. People are still making profits off buildings every where in the country. Non distressed auctions are prob the best way to sell a home right now, and saying yeah Im only gone end up paying 2.25 million over the life of my NBA contract doesnt cut it. He wanted that terrace and I dont blame him  but a reasonable risk at say 5 million would have been better.

The Owners are going for the throat next week. I'm all for the players, but right now this is getting out of hand. Players never had the leverage and its being shown right now.

The Owners are going for the throat next week. I'm all for the players, but right now this is getting out of hand. Players never had the leverage and its being shown right now.

Back
Top Bottom