The Official NBA Collective Bargaining Thread vol Phased in Hard Cap

does anyone know the protocol of how a vote works. can the players end this if they wanted to

does anyone know the protocol of how a vote works. can the players end this if they wanted to

Originally Posted by PMatic

Report: Owners offered union two choices
We’re at a point of both crisis and opportunity in the NBA’s collective bargaining talks, and that means folks all over the league are going to come out and suggest (or predict) what either side should do. People are angry and worried, and opinions are flying. David Aldridge of NBA.com is both plugged-in and cautious in his reporting as he says he has the owners’ strategy figured out:
Those were the choices the league laid out to the union in Friday’s disheartening session, according to numerous sources. Fifty-fifty with almost nothing for the tax threshold-breakers, or 53-47 for the league with the negotiations the two sides had worked out all week.

In other words, the league will “give

Report: Owners offered union two choices
We’re at a point of both crisis and opportunity in the NBA’s collective bargaining talks, and that means folks all over the league are going to come out and suggest (or predict) what either side should do. People are angry and worried, and opinions are flying. David Aldridge of NBA.com is both plugged-in and cautious in his reporting as he says he has the owners’ strategy figured out:
Those were the choices the league laid out to the union in Friday’s disheartening session, according to numerous sources. Fifty-fifty with almost nothing for the tax threshold-breakers, or 53-47 for the league with the negotiations the two sides had worked out all week.

In other words, the league will “give

Originally Posted by DubA169

At a certain point Billy Hunter presents a deal he feels confident in the union voting on. At that point, any player who wants to vote can. In '99, less than half the players voted at all (it was 179-5 in favor of accepting the deal). I've read that a lot of players back then blindly voted in favor in order to just save the season. I feel that will be the case this time around, although they'll come to their senses much earlier.

Originally Posted by DubA169

At a certain point Billy Hunter presents a deal he feels confident in the union voting on. At that point, any player who wants to vote can. In '99, less than half the players voted at all (it was 179-5 in favor of accepting the deal). I've read that a lot of players back then blindly voted in favor in order to just save the season. I feel that will be the case this time around, although they'll come to their senses much earlier.

FYI: Kobe voted against the deal in '99 because he knew the deal would cost him millions.

FYI: Kobe voted against the deal in '99 because he knew the deal would cost him millions.

Of course. That deal cost a lot of millions to many players. But contracts were out of control, and the rookie pay scale was the best thing to come out of it.

Of course. That deal cost a lot of millions to many players. But contracts were out of control, and the rookie pay scale was the best thing to come out of it.

Originally Posted by sooperhooper

These dumb players are going to end up getting the short end of the stick
30t6p3b.gif
the owners are successful businessmen for a reason.
That will always be the case.

Ric Bucher said something about the small market owners wanting a system where their next Lebron James won't be able to dictate when he leaves and where he wants to go.

W T F???

Thats some slavery BS!

Ric Bucher said something about the small market owners wanting a system where their next Lebron James won't be able to dictate when he leaves and where he wants to go.

W T F???

Thats some slavery BS!

Originally Posted by tyisny

In all honesty Why havent the players assembled to kind of make their own league
It's not as easy as it sounds. You have to have strong financial backing, insurance for players, book venues, sell tickets,etc.. 

In all honesty Why havent the players assembled to kind of make their own league
It's not as easy as it sounds. You have to have strong financial backing, insurance for players, book venues, sell tickets,etc.. 

Originally Posted by MyJaysGetRocked

The union should take this 50/50, and use the time between now and the expiration of the new cba to devise a back up plan, an alternative NBA. Get whatever it is that's needed to run a league..insurance, investments, sponsors, secondary venues, etc. Have this back up plan ready to go as soon as the cba expires. Then they can use it as a bargaining chip for the next cba. It would definitely put these owners in an uncomfortable position.

The union should take this 50/50, and use the time between now and the expiration of the new cba to devise a back up plan, an alternative NBA. Get whatever it is that's needed to run a league..insurance, investments, sponsors, secondary venues, etc. Have this back up plan ready to go as soon as the cba expires. Then they can use it as a bargaining chip for the next cba. It would definitely put these owners in an uncomfortable position.

Originally Posted by MoNeyLiCiouS

Would it put more pressure on the owners? Definitely.... Is it likely? No....

Let's be honest here, let's say the players actually were able to develop this other league (which realistically, would take A LOT OF WORK) it still wouldn't come anywhere close to the NBA. If I'm a superstar, would I be more likely to join/create this new league, which will significantly reduce my earnings OR just agree with the owners and make a little less money?

Let's be honest here, let's say the players actually were able to develop this other league (which realistically, would take A LOT OF WORK) it still wouldn't come anywhere close to the NBA. If I'm a superstar, would I be more likely to join/create this new league, which will significantly reduce my earnings OR just agree with the owners and make a little less money?

Sounds good, but I dont know if that would be viable enough to scare the owners. The next union president definitely has to be creative and build some sort of leverage for the players next go around. Im positive the owners will be gunning for those guaranteed contracts next go round...

Back
Top Bottom