The Official NBA Collective Bargaining Thread vol Phased in Hard Cap

Originally Posted by MyJaysGetRocked

Originally Posted by MoNeyLiCiouS

It's not as easy as it sounds. You have to have strong financial backing, insurance for players, book venues, sell tickets,etc.. 

The union should take this 50/50, and use the time between now and the expiration of the new cba to devise a back up plan, an alternative NBA. Get whatever it is that's needed to run a league..insurance, investments, sponsors, secondary venues, etc. Have this back up plan ready to go as soon as the cba expires. Then they can use it as a bargaining chip for the next cba. It would definitely put these owners in an uncomfortable position.
Would it put more pressure on the owners? Definitely.... Is it likely? No....

Let's be honest here, let's say the players actually were able to develop this other league (which realistically, would take A LOT OF WORK) it still wouldn't come anywhere close to the NBA. If I'm a superstar, would I be more likely to join/create this new league, which will significantly reduce my earnings OR just agree with the owners and make a little less money?
Sounds good, but I dont know if that would be viable enough to scare the owners. The next union president definitely has to be creative and build some sort of leverage for the players next go around. Im positive the owners will be gunning for those guaranteed contracts next go round...

Let's be honest here, let's say the players actually were able to develop this other league (which realistically, would take A LOT OF WORK) it still wouldn't come anywhere close to the NBA. If I'm a superstar, would I be more likely to join/create this new league, which will significantly reduce my earnings OR just agree with the owners and make a little less money?

Thats the point bro! SUPERSTARS are goood. Their money is long, they're eating off of Nike and other endorsements. It's everyone else that's suffering.

Of course this secondary league would not pull in as much money as the NBA. But realistically, the union has 7-10 years to put this insurance plan together. Whatever the players agree to now results in a huge L for them, the owners won. 10 years from now, owners will ask for guaranteed contracts and say...75% of the BRI, and then what?

The point of a plan B is not to operate under it instead of the NBA, but to tell the owners to kick rocks and use it as a bargaining chip.

Thats the point bro! SUPERSTARS are goood. Their money is long, they're eating off of Nike and other endorsements. It's everyone else that's suffering.

Of course this secondary league would not pull in as much money as the NBA. But realistically, the union has 7-10 years to put this insurance plan together. Whatever the players agree to now results in a huge L for them, the owners won. 10 years from now, owners will ask for guaranteed contracts and say...75% of the BRI, and then what?

The point of a plan B is not to operate under it instead of the NBA, but to tell the owners to kick rocks and use it as a bargaining chip.

So what are you saying?  A secondary league without the superstars in line would be an epic fail. 

So what are you saying?  A secondary league without the superstars in line would be an epic fail. 

I wholeheartedly agree with the idea of formulating all of this stuff in advance for the next CBA.

My point is that everything is made and paid for off the expense of the players.. You start a player funded league with the best players in the world and fans are still going to want to watch. Tv networks will be forced to lock into contracts, Arenas would be forced to lease out to the new league because simply put the NBA wouldnt exist and basketball is very profitable.

I wholeheartedly agree with the idea of formulating all of this stuff in advance for the next CBA.

My point is that everything is made and paid for off the expense of the players.. You start a player funded league with the best players in the world and fans are still going to want to watch. Tv networks will be forced to lock into contracts, Arenas would be forced to lease out to the new league because simply put the NBA wouldnt exist and basketball is very profitable.

Originally Posted by amel223

A secondary league INCLUDING superstars. Of course they'd make dramatically less compared to the NBA, BUT they'd be making a "stand" oppose to the 0 leverage they have now.

A secondary league INCLUDING superstars. Of course they'd make dramatically less compared to the NBA, BUT they'd be making a "stand" oppose to the 0 leverage they have now.

Ric Bucher said something about the small market owners wanting a system where their next Lebron James won't be able to dictate when he leaves and where he wants to go.

30t6p3b.gif

Ric Bucher said something about the small market owners wanting a system where their next Lebron James won't be able to dictate when he leaves and where he wants to go.

30t6p3b.gif

That's the thing.  Why would the superstars have any incentive to start a secondary league.  Have you been reading what you've been replying to?  What you yourself have been saying?

If I'm a superstar, would I be more likely to join/create this new league, which will significantly reduce my earnings OR just agree with the owners and make a little less money?

That's the thing.  Why would the superstars have any incentive to start a secondary league.  Have you been reading what you've been replying to?  What you yourself have been saying?

If I'm a superstar, would I be more likely to join/create this new league, which will significantly reduce my earnings OR just agree with the owners and make a little less money?

Originally Posted by DubA169

We ain't having a season
I'm not ready to say that yet, but I'm starting to feel pretty confident that we won't see anymore NBA ball in 2011.  But I think its possible we could see a repeat of  '99. 

Originally Posted by DubA169

We ain't having a season
I'm not ready to say that yet, but I'm starting to feel pretty confident that we won't see anymore NBA ball in 2011.  But I think its possible we could see a repeat of  '99. 

Amell, I've been saying the whole time the incentive is the bargaining chip. It's obvious this is a superstar driven league, what better way to show the owners that by playing on their own court? Regardless of how much they'd make, it's temporary, 1-2 years max. Throughout this whole lockout, how many superstars played in summer league games for free? Charity games for free? Wearing basketball never stops tees?

Amell, I've been saying the whole time the incentive is the bargaining chip. It's obvious this is a superstar driven league, what better way to show the owners that by playing on their own court? Regardless of how much they'd make, it's temporary, 1-2 years max. Throughout this whole lockout, how many superstars played in summer league games for free? Charity games for free? Wearing basketball never stops tees?

Back
Top Bottom