The Official NBA Collective Bargaining Thread vol Phased in Hard Cap

All bad.

Players came down to 50-50 giving billions to owners and they can't even get the say on a few system issues cause these hard-line $$*%!*** want fair competitive balance, even though guys like Paul Allen have been questioned on whether they even care about their franchise anymore and simply want to make profits. Damn these owners are greedy bastards mannn...

All bad.

Players came down to 50-50 giving billions to owners and they can't even get the say on a few system issues cause these hard-line $$*%!*** want fair competitive balance, even though guys like Paul Allen have been questioned on whether they even care about their franchise anymore and simply want to make profits. Damn these owners are greedy bastards mannn...

At this point, I can't even follow the specifics of what's going on anymore. It's the same ol' story every single time. I'll just wait for them to announce whether there will be a season or not.

At this point, I can't even follow the specifics of what's going on anymore. It's the same ol' story every single time. I'll just wait for them to announce whether there will be a season or not.

Originally Posted by Zyzz

Originally Posted by CAto312

@WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
Several agents tell Y! Sports they have 200-plus player signatures for union decertification petition and paperwork could be filed Friday.

Hmmm.....

decertification is pretty stupid IMO if it happens doesnt it mean no basketball for quite a long time? unless all the smart people at realgm are wrong but im guessing they are right when talking about the subject.
Not necessarily. After the petition is filed, it is reviewed by a Union agency and that takes about 45 days. The players are hoping that within the 45 days,  some pressure is put on the owners, which will then make reconsider their terms of the deal. If the the owners don't fall for the bait and the union agency approves it, then all players will have to vote on it, and if the majority vote yes to decertify, the lockout will most likely run into the 11-12 season. 

Originally Posted by Zyzz

Originally Posted by CAto312

@WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
Several agents tell Y! Sports they have 200-plus player signatures for union decertification petition and paperwork could be filed Friday.

Hmmm.....

decertification is pretty stupid IMO if it happens doesnt it mean no basketball for quite a long time? unless all the smart people at realgm are wrong but im guessing they are right when talking about the subject.
Not necessarily. After the petition is filed, it is reviewed by a Union agency and that takes about 45 days. The players are hoping that within the 45 days,  some pressure is put on the owners, which will then make reconsider their terms of the deal. If the the owners don't fall for the bait and the union agency approves it, then all players will have to vote on it, and if the majority vote yes to decertify, the lockout will most likely run into the 11-12 season. 

Originally Posted by Mr Marcus

These check to check living players ain't about that life...
It's one thing to grandstand and posture before the first missed paycheck. But that's coming in a few days. The overwhelming majority of players can't miss paychecks. The average career is about 4 years. Missing a season would be missing one-quarter of the overwhelming majority of money tat many of these guys would make in their lives. That's why a deal will get done. If not, then I'm looking at the stars of the league who are too selfish for their own interests. If it was up to the rank-and-file, this would have been solved already.

Originally Posted by Mr Marcus

These check to check living players ain't about that life...
It's one thing to grandstand and posture before the first missed paycheck. But that's coming in a few days. The overwhelming majority of players can't miss paychecks. The average career is about 4 years. Missing a season would be missing one-quarter of the overwhelming majority of money tat many of these guys would make in their lives. That's why a deal will get done. If not, then I'm looking at the stars of the league who are too selfish for their own interests. If it was up to the rank-and-file, this would have been solved already.

why are you guys all sad? @$%# the nba. if they dont care about the fans @$%# um! wont lose any sleep over this. there are still 3 other major sports to watch and the ncaa.

just save me a whole lot of money...

why are you guys all sad? @$%# the nba. if they dont care about the fans @$%# um! wont lose any sleep over this. there are still 3 other major sports to watch and the ncaa.

just save me a whole lot of money...

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

• The "Super Tax": Both the players and owners have agreed, in part, on a punitive tax for teams that exceed the luxury-tax threshold. For every dollar -- up to $5 million -- that a team goes over the limit, it pays a $1.50 tax. In the previous CBA, it was dollar for dollar. Moreover, the two sides have agreed that the tax will get incrementally larger every $5 million.

Damn, this could be huge for big spenders like Lakers and Mavericks, where they're like what, 30 million over the cap?
laugh.gif

• Minimum team salary: The minimum team salary must be 85 percent of the salary cap.

Is that new? How the hell do you enforce that?

• Restricted free agency: A team will have three days to match offers on restricted free agents. Previously, a team had seven.

Three? Give em a day. If they want the player, pay up and decide quickly. That delay really kills chances at other players during FA.

• Injury exception: In the event of a season-ending injury, a team will be given a one-year, $5 million exception to replace an injured player.

Interesting to see how that will work out, as I guess that player can't come back even if they somehow rehab quicker.

• Amnesty clause: A team may waive one player and not have that player's contract count against the cap. That clause may be used at any time over the life of the collective bargaining agreement.

roll.gif
, we know who this would be used on.

• Sign-and-trades: The NBA proposal prohibits taxpaying teams from executing sign-and-trades. The players are against that.

I wonder how much of a sticking point that would be..
nerd.gif

Dude 30 million!! IIRC, the Lakers, Mavs, and Knicks have all been over 105million in the last decade so more like 50million over. Even at this moment, the Lakers are 35 over assuming the cap is 56, which would mean 10 teams or 1/3rd of the league are over the cap already. Granted they have the amnesty thing coming up, we also still have 130 free agents to be signed to fill out rosters.

And I'm sick of Stern and Silver lying talking about all these concessions they have made. They have made concessions off of their initially tremendously ridiculous demands down to just regular ridiculous, but off of the current system, everything is a come up for them

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

• The "Super Tax": Both the players and owners have agreed, in part, on a punitive tax for teams that exceed the luxury-tax threshold. For every dollar -- up to $5 million -- that a team goes over the limit, it pays a $1.50 tax. In the previous CBA, it was dollar for dollar. Moreover, the two sides have agreed that the tax will get incrementally larger every $5 million.

Damn, this could be huge for big spenders like Lakers and Mavericks, where they're like what, 30 million over the cap?
laugh.gif

• Minimum team salary: The minimum team salary must be 85 percent of the salary cap.

Is that new? How the hell do you enforce that?

• Restricted free agency: A team will have three days to match offers on restricted free agents. Previously, a team had seven.

Three? Give em a day. If they want the player, pay up and decide quickly. That delay really kills chances at other players during FA.

• Injury exception: In the event of a season-ending injury, a team will be given a one-year, $5 million exception to replace an injured player.

Interesting to see how that will work out, as I guess that player can't come back even if they somehow rehab quicker.

• Amnesty clause: A team may waive one player and not have that player's contract count against the cap. That clause may be used at any time over the life of the collective bargaining agreement.

roll.gif
, we know who this would be used on.

• Sign-and-trades: The NBA proposal prohibits taxpaying teams from executing sign-and-trades. The players are against that.

I wonder how much of a sticking point that would be..
nerd.gif

Dude 30 million!! IIRC, the Lakers, Mavs, and Knicks have all been over 105million in the last decade so more like 50million over. Even at this moment, the Lakers are 35 over assuming the cap is 56, which would mean 10 teams or 1/3rd of the league are over the cap already. Granted they have the amnesty thing coming up, we also still have 130 free agents to be signed to fill out rosters.

And I'm sick of Stern and Silver lying talking about all these concessions they have made. They have made concessions off of their initially tremendously ridiculous demands down to just regular ridiculous, but off of the current system, everything is a come up for them

The competitive balance monster rears its ugly head again;
Finally, the real fight

After 133 days of the lockout we finally got a clear vision of what the union is fighting for…even if it took NBA deputy commissioner Adam Silver to articulate it for them.

"In order for us to have the competitive balance we want, it restricts player movement to a certain degree,

Finally, the real fight

After 133 days of the lockout we finally got a clear vision of what the union is fighting for…even if it took NBA deputy commissioner Adam Silver to articulate it for them.

"In order for us to have the competitive balance we want, it restricts player movement to a certain degree,

Originally Posted by PMatic

If the union played it smartly they’d say that now that the players have signaled their willingness to drop to 50 percent, the same question that was repeatedly demanded of the players – “Why isn’t 50/50 good enough for you?

Originally Posted by PMatic

If the union played it smartly they’d say that now that the players have signaled their willingness to drop to 50 percent, the same question that was repeatedly demanded of the players – “Why isn’t 50/50 good enough for you?

^^^ I agree Big J. When the lock out first started, I was sympathetic to the owners, but as things have dragged on I think they're going way overboard. And you're right that, when it comes to the NBA, people like seeing teams with multiple stars and even dynasties, to an extent. I hear people talking about how parity has helped make the NBA as popular as it is. I don't think it works the same way with the NBA since the NBA has always been more star driven than the NFL. Look at the NBA in the 1970s. A different team won the championship pretty much every year, but the league was at its low point for popularity.

Back
Top Bottom