The Official NBA Collective Bargaining Thread vol Phased in Hard Cap

^^^ I agree Big J. When the lock out first started, I was sympathetic to the owners, but as things have dragged on I think they're going way overboard. And you're right that, when it comes to the NBA, people like seeing teams with multiple stars and even dynasties, to an extent. I hear people talking about how parity has helped make the NBA as popular as it is. I don't think it works the same way with the NBA since the NBA has always been more star driven than the NFL. Look at the NBA in the 1970s. A different team won the championship pretty much every year, but the league was at its low point for popularity.

Originally Posted by Statis22

Sooooooo..............?
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by Big J 33

That's the most important part to me. The owners are hiding behind the "competitive balance" to attempt to gut the union when they've had MORE than a fair deal on the table. Just give the players these system concessions, I do not understand this level of control the owners are trying to execute.

People can cry and complain about how team's like the Heat with the Big 3 and Carmelo's long saga to NY are ruining the game, but I don't buy it AT ALL. People want to see these teams. Bottomline.

The competitive balance thing is @$%!%%%%. Their whole mentality is, alright cool...you can have your super teams but we'll make sure you can't pay any role players.
eyes.gif
So what? Small market teams can keep overpaying mid guys?

Ending extend and trade doesn't help much either. Good, there won't be another will they trade _____ by the deadline or hope he resigns, but now the team has no leverage. They can trade their player for peanuts, because they can't guarantee he'll sign where they send him or they can wait to lose him for nothing.

If those idiots really decertify though...they deserve what the owners do to them. Their agents sold them out.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

That's the most important part to me. The owners are hiding behind the "competitive balance" to attempt to gut the union when they've had MORE than a fair deal on the table. Just give the players these system concessions, I do not understand this level of control the owners are trying to execute.

People can cry and complain about how team's like the Heat with the Big 3 and Carmelo's long saga to NY are ruining the game, but I don't buy it AT ALL. People want to see these teams. Bottomline.

The competitive balance thing is @$%!%%%%. Their whole mentality is, alright cool...you can have your super teams but we'll make sure you can't pay any role players.
eyes.gif
So what? Small market teams can keep overpaying mid guys?

Ending extend and trade doesn't help much either. Good, there won't be another will they trade _____ by the deadline or hope he resigns, but now the team has no leverage. They can trade their player for peanuts, because they can't guarantee he'll sign where they send him or they can wait to lose him for nothing.

If those idiots really decertify though...they deserve what the owners do to them. Their agents sold them out.

Originally Posted by MrONegative

Yep.  It definitely seems that the agents are pushing for this decert thing harder than anybody else.  The players don't really wanna decert that's gunna automatically take away 25-35 percent of what most of them will earn for their career. 

But the agents don't care cuz they'll keep making money long after their clients' career are over. 

Originally Posted by MrONegative

Yep.  It definitely seems that the agents are pushing for this decert thing harder than anybody else.  The players don't really wanna decert that's gunna automatically take away 25-35 percent of what most of them will earn for their career. 

But the agents don't care cuz they'll keep making money long after their clients' career are over. 

RicBucher Ric Bucher
New proposal would allow teams to send players to NBDL first 5 years of career and reduce pay to pro-rated 75K. Talk about non-starters.

Looks like this deal will be rejected
30t6p3b.gif

RicBucher Ric Bucher
New proposal would allow teams to send players to NBDL first 5 years of career and reduce pay to pro-rated 75K. Talk about non-starters.

Looks like this deal will be rejected
30t6p3b.gif

Knicks owner James Dolan blew off the two-day desperation labor session between the NBA and players’ union in Manhattan with one source saying he has been sickened by the failure of his fellow owners to make a deal.

Dolan is on the negotiating committee and a five-minute train ride away from the latest talk, which ended without a deal last night at 11 p.m. after an 11-hour session.

Tuesday, the Knicks were preparing -- just in case -- for an imminent settlement and lifting of the lockout. Players have been unable to use the practice facility since July 1. According to a source, the coaches and staff started setting up for the preseason by bringing jerseys and equipment into the locker rooms. It was the first time that had occurred during the nearly 4 1/2-month lockout.

If the players accept the latest offer Monday, camp could begin two weeks later.

The only owner present during the latest negotiations was the Spurs’ Peter Holt.

Two weeks ago, when union director Billy Hunter stormed out of the meetings at the Waldorf Astoria fuming after commissioner David Stern’s take-it-or-leave it 50-50 offer, Dolan tried to make peace.

“He was the voice of reason, trying to get the union not to leave,’’ one person in the room said.

Yikes. When Dolan isbvoice of reason we are screwed.

Knicks owner James Dolan blew off the two-day desperation labor session between the NBA and players’ union in Manhattan with one source saying he has been sickened by the failure of his fellow owners to make a deal.

Dolan is on the negotiating committee and a five-minute train ride away from the latest talk, which ended without a deal last night at 11 p.m. after an 11-hour session.

Tuesday, the Knicks were preparing -- just in case -- for an imminent settlement and lifting of the lockout. Players have been unable to use the practice facility since July 1. According to a source, the coaches and staff started setting up for the preseason by bringing jerseys and equipment into the locker rooms. It was the first time that had occurred during the nearly 4 1/2-month lockout.

If the players accept the latest offer Monday, camp could begin two weeks later.

The only owner present during the latest negotiations was the Spurs’ Peter Holt.

Two weeks ago, when union director Billy Hunter stormed out of the meetings at the Waldorf Astoria fuming after commissioner David Stern’s take-it-or-leave it 50-50 offer, Dolan tried to make peace.

“He was the voice of reason, trying to get the union not to leave,’’ one person in the room said.

Yikes. When Dolan isbvoice of reason we are screwed.

That's some indentured servant stuff. It really is.

To have the right for 5 years to make someone make 75 grand when they reside in two cities. Pay money to agent. Pay taxes. They would be making absolute crap money.

And players that outperform their contract don't get more money

That's some indentured servant stuff. It really is.

To have the right for 5 years to make someone make 75 grand when they reside in two cities. Pay money to agent. Pay taxes. They would be making absolute crap money.

And players that outperform their contract don't get more money

Back
Top Bottom