The Official NBA Collective Bargaining Thread vol Phased in Hard Cap

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Originally Posted by FinallyFamous

Kyrie SMFH ...
Worse than Kyrie not playing, if there's no season or a severely shortened one, the Cavs made a huge mistake by taking Thompson instead of Valanciunas due to him not coming over this season.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by FinallyFamous

Kyrie SMFH ...
Worse than Kyrie not playing, if there's no season or a severely shortened one, the Cavs made a huge mistake by taking Thompson instead of Valanciunas due to him not coming over this season.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

The hilarious part about the threat of voiding contracts, wouldn't that be awful for small market teams? If the playing field was level and it was an entire league of free agents, how many would seek out Minny or Cleveland?
Yeah, Stern will def lose his job if things continue this way. You can literally end up with most of the superstars in the big markets.

No one is blameless in this situation. They should've done this about 3 months ago. I hate everyone involved

Its a dark day for basketball fans everywhere
tired.gif

No one is blameless in this situation. They should've done this about 3 months ago. I hate everyone involved

Its a dark day for basketball fans everywhere
tired.gif

Originally Posted by SLP Product

I will LMAO when these same players cave in and sign an even worse deal next year.
But why? Losing out on a year of basketball for the fans and taking a year away from player's primes and the end of their career... then you have the players crushed by the owners? That doesn't benefit the fan at all

It's one thing if you side with the owners when it comes to their proposals and agree/disagree with the deal and CBA... but when I see people relishing players losing money or hoping they suffer, it just comes across as bitterness. Yes, times are tough out there and millionaires arguing with billionaires won't gain a lot of sympathy... but to paraphrase Lebron, hating on these players won't make your life better, so to root for the owners just to see the players punished does not make sense to me. If you believe the owners proposals will improve the league, I'll disagree with you but I can respect that position, I just don't get the other desires. And I'm not singling you out in particular, SLP Product, just the overall sentiment you're expressing.

I will LMAO when these same players cave in and sign an even worse deal next year.
But why? Losing out on a year of basketball for the fans and taking a year away from player's primes and the end of their career... then you have the players crushed by the owners? That doesn't benefit the fan at all

It's one thing if you side with the owners when it comes to their proposals and agree/disagree with the deal and CBA... but when I see people relishing players losing money or hoping they suffer, it just comes across as bitterness. Yes, times are tough out there and millionaires arguing with billionaires won't gain a lot of sympathy... but to paraphrase Lebron, hating on these players won't make your life better, so to root for the owners just to see the players punished does not make sense to me. If you believe the owners proposals will improve the league, I'll disagree with you but I can respect that position, I just don't get the other desires. And I'm not singling you out in particular, SLP Product, just the overall sentiment you're expressing.

Originally Posted by soychulo

Stern looked way too pleased in his interview, he was relishing in putting down Hunter and the union. I understand coming across as confident, but his smugness was plain as day.. didn't seem like a commish who was responsible for a disaster in his league.

He looked pleased because he made the opposition play its final hand.  The players are out of moves.  Decertification = checkmate.
My thoughts on this:  Really wanted a season.  Last year was too good not to have an encore.  The players got on my nerves this round of bargaining.  You are employees, not equal business partners.  Actually players are products with a shelf life.  You are only good for so long.  You had no investment in the business venture before you started playing and for the majority you will have none after you finish.  We all wish these products didn't have a shelf life.  I'd much rather be watching MJ, Bird and Magic battling in their prime for the next 20 years than alot of the chuckleheads we're stuck with now.  But bodies age and wear out and with that goes athletic performance.  

Durant's quote about how much revenue does a teacher generate compared to basketball players was tasteless.  He's have served himself better by not replying to the question.  There are thousands of businesses who have employees that generate them income and few are compensated the way professional athletes are taken care of. 

As someone who has been both an employee and a business owner I find it laughable that employees decide they will be setting the terms of the relationship.  I'm sure most of us on here have had not so enjoyable jobs and have been paid little to do them.  We do what we have to until we worked our way into the decision making positions, or beyond that into ownership.

With that said these players are just out of touch with reality.  They are making a spectacle, loving the camera attention, thinking they are "making moves".  They just gave up all leverage.  Which brings me to another point:  Who are these players consulting with that is giving them this advice?

Some serious questions maybe someone can answer:

Does this decertification void all existing player contracts?

Will teams just have rights to players but no contracts if that is the case?

^I agree with much of this.

Originally Posted by soychulo

Stern looked way too pleased in his interview, he was relishing in putting down Hunter and the union. I understand coming across as confident, but his smugness was plain as day.. didn't seem like a commish who was responsible for a disaster in his league.

He looked pleased because he made the opposition play its final hand.  The players are out of moves.  Decertification = checkmate.
My thoughts on this:  Really wanted a season.  Last year was too good not to have an encore.  The players got on my nerves this round of bargaining.  You are employees, not equal business partners.  Actually players are products with a shelf life.  You are only good for so long.  You had no investment in the business venture before you started playing and for the majority you will have none after you finish.  We all wish these products didn't have a shelf life.  I'd much rather be watching MJ, Bird and Magic battling in their prime for the next 20 years than alot of the chuckleheads we're stuck with now.  But bodies age and wear out and with that goes athletic performance.  

Durant's quote about how much revenue does a teacher generate compared to basketball players was tasteless.  He's have served himself better by not replying to the question.  There are thousands of businesses who have employees that generate them income and few are compensated the way professional athletes are taken care of. 

As someone who has been both an employee and a business owner I find it laughable that employees decide they will be setting the terms of the relationship.  I'm sure most of us on here have had not so enjoyable jobs and have been paid little to do them.  We do what we have to until we worked our way into the decision making positions, or beyond that into ownership.

With that said these players are just out of touch with reality.  They are making a spectacle, loving the camera attention, thinking they are "making moves".  They just gave up all leverage.  Which brings me to another point:  Who are these players consulting with that is giving them this advice?

Some serious questions maybe someone can answer:

Does this decertification void all existing player contracts?

Will teams just have rights to players but no contracts if that is the case?

^I agree with much of this.

Its really saddening that there wont be a season. 
30t6p3b.gif
I have always loved watching NBA games.
One of the things that will suck is we will probably never see some legends play ever again because they are too old to come back and play next season. Im talking bout Jason Kidd (will be 39), Grant Hill (will be 40 next october
sick.gif
), Ray Allen (37), Steve Nash (38)...............
I wonder if some of the top level players will go and play overseas and risk injuring themselves for a couple mill.

Its really saddening that there wont be a season. 
30t6p3b.gif
I have always loved watching NBA games.
One of the things that will suck is we will probably never see some legends play ever again because they are too old to come back and play next season. Im talking bout Jason Kidd (will be 39), Grant Hill (will be 40 next october
sick.gif
), Ray Allen (37), Steve Nash (38)...............
I wonder if some of the top level players will go and play overseas and risk injuring themselves for a couple mill.

Originally Posted by pip777

Welp.

Pretty much.

I'm numb to this whole NBA mess at this point.  I'm dissapointed but not surprised that the proposal wasn't expected by the players.

Great way to come off one of the best NBA seasons in ages NBA owners and players.
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by pip777

Welp.

Pretty much.

I'm numb to this whole NBA mess at this point.  I'm dissapointed but not surprised that the proposal wasn't expected by the players.

Great way to come off one of the best NBA seasons in ages NBA owners and players.
indifferent.gif

^ No offense taken Big J 33.

My problem with this whole ordeal is that amount of time eaten away already.
I'm not siding with the owners nor the players. I'm just a guy who loves to play/watch basketball.

With that said, I do believe that the system needs to be reformed. No one needs to be punished and no threats, insults, or deadlines needed to be given.
In all actuality all that needed to be done, was to let the players (not the reps) vote.
If this was the last stand for the NBPA before decertification or before we start getting into lawsuits and litigation's, then at least put it out there for a majority vote, so that at the very least you see how your constituents feels about it.

Given all the legal jargon used in these contracts you really need a group of lawyers to interpret every single clause, and you really have to weigh all the pros and cons as a collective unit.
I dont believe that all these players were properly informed on all the details in this deal, and furthermore I do believe that there are hidden agendas by agents (after all they are the ones who would ultimately lose out on more).

At the end of the day, all I hear are players talking about "were not going to be strong armed"  and "we don't like the system" but fail to give any real specifics.
The owners cry about "X amount of money lost" and "things will only get worse" and as time passes nothing gets done.

Between the two who am I willing to bet on.........the owners.

I still stand by that sentiment that come spring/summer were all going to look back and say...."DAMN!! we waited all this time for this!! they should've settled in Nov" and by that time I can certainly guarantee that they will get a worse deal.

P.S. why do these players keep showing up to these negotiations in hoodies and sneakers (gives the general public the impression that they really don't care as much).

^ No offense taken Big J 33.

My problem with this whole ordeal is that amount of time eaten away already.
I'm not siding with the owners nor the players. I'm just a guy who loves to play/watch basketball.

With that said, I do believe that the system needs to be reformed. No one needs to be punished and no threats, insults, or deadlines needed to be given.
In all actuality all that needed to be done, was to let the players (not the reps) vote.
If this was the last stand for the NBPA before decertification or before we start getting into lawsuits and litigation's, then at least put it out there for a majority vote, so that at the very least you see how your constituents feels about it.

Given all the legal jargon used in these contracts you really need a group of lawyers to interpret every single clause, and you really have to weigh all the pros and cons as a collective unit.
I dont believe that all these players were properly informed on all the details in this deal, and furthermore I do believe that there are hidden agendas by agents (after all they are the ones who would ultimately lose out on more).

At the end of the day, all I hear are players talking about "were not going to be strong armed"  and "we don't like the system" but fail to give any real specifics.
The owners cry about "X amount of money lost" and "things will only get worse" and as time passes nothing gets done.

Between the two who am I willing to bet on.........the owners.

I still stand by that sentiment that come spring/summer were all going to look back and say...."DAMN!! we waited all this time for this!! they should've settled in Nov" and by that time I can certainly guarantee that they will get a worse deal.

P.S. why do these players keep showing up to these negotiations in hoodies and sneakers (gives the general public the impression that they really don't care as much).

My only wish is that they would've done this sooner.

The problem now is that, in a best case scenario, the final decision comes down in 3 months, which probably won't leave time for a season.

If you remember what happened in the NFL, the players filed the lawsuit in the beginning of April and 3 weeks later the judge decided to lift the lockout. The owners appealed & were granted a temporary stay. So, the lockout resumed.

Finally in JULY, the Court of Appeals ruled that the lockout won't be lifted. 

And that case was ruled on quickly.

So, we're looking at a final resolution to this in February
sick.gif

We won't get a season in if both sides let this play out.

My only wish is that they would've done this sooner.

The problem now is that, in a best case scenario, the final decision comes down in 3 months, which probably won't leave time for a season.

If you remember what happened in the NFL, the players filed the lawsuit in the beginning of April and 3 weeks later the judge decided to lift the lockout. The owners appealed & were granted a temporary stay. So, the lockout resumed.

Finally in JULY, the Court of Appeals ruled that the lockout won't be lifted. 

And that case was ruled on quickly.

So, we're looking at a final resolution to this in February
sick.gif

We won't get a season in if both sides let this play out.

I would agree with a lot of what you said too, SLP. It's a complete disaster no matter how you slice it or who you support or side with.

I would agree with a lot of what you said too, SLP. It's a complete disaster no matter how you slice it or who you support or side with.

I don't think that's what he was getting at (at least I didn't interpret it that way). All this grandstanding by the players, and holding out on principle, and it's all going to lead to a worse deal for the players. In the end, I'm not going to be laughing AT the players and pointing fingers, I'm going to be laughing in disbelief over the situation, knowing exactly how it was going to play out once they rejected this latest deal. Anyone who laughs AT the players is just piling on. The situation is just comical at this point. It's a farce.

I don't think that's what he was getting at (at least I didn't interpret it that way). All this grandstanding by the players, and holding out on principle, and it's all going to lead to a worse deal for the players. In the end, I'm not going to be laughing AT the players and pointing fingers, I'm going to be laughing in disbelief over the situation, knowing exactly how it was going to play out once they rejected this latest deal. Anyone who laughs AT the players is just piling on. The situation is just comical at this point. It's a farce.

Back
Top Bottom