The Official NBA Collective Bargaining Thread vol Phased in Hard Cap

Back to the actual topic, Stern has to go now doesn't he?  How could he be allowed to survive TWO labor issues in 12 years?  Has any other commish ever had 2 under one reign?  And I mean one that cost games, not like Goodell just had where the season starts on time, that I understand. 

I hate to do this but Im no longer supporting anything with the NBA
That includes my SPURS.
30t6p3b.gif

They don't care about fans like me so yeah.
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

Back to the actual topic, Stern has to go now doesn't he?  How could he be allowed to survive TWO labor issues in 12 years?  Has any other commish ever had 2 under one reign?  And I mean one that cost games, not like Goodell just had where the season starts on time, that I understand. 
I understand and appreciate what Stern has done for the game, but following the ugliness of this lockout, I don't see the point of him staying any longer. If it worked out, I still think he should give it up, but at least he'd be leaving with ratings high and a new CBA. Now when we do eventually start, good chance casual fans will take longer to return, the players and owners are unhappy, and the league is hurt. Not to mention, other than his smug interview on ESPN yesterday, he's looked tired and beat throughout this process. It's stressful of course, but I say hang it up before he dies on the job.

I understand and appreciate what Stern has done for the game, but following the ugliness of this lockout, I don't see the point of him staying any longer. If it worked out, I still think he should give it up, but at least he'd be leaving with ratings high and a new CBA. Now when we do eventually start, good chance casual fans will take longer to return, the players and owners are unhappy, and the league is hurt. Not to mention, other than his smug interview on ESPN yesterday, he's looked tired and beat throughout this process. It's stressful of course, but I say hang it up before he dies on the job.

Originally Posted by PMatic

Sportsnation poll

30t6p3b.gif

Everyone knows David Stern...but you're telling me Derek Fisher and no-name legacy lawyer are the face of the players?

A part of me thinks free agency '10 and '11 ruined most of the candidates. I mean Kobe and KG proved they can't or won't. Most of the big candidates are on luxury tax teams or on the last big contract they'll ever get. You gotta think, anyone who was known and around for the 1st lockout, wouldn't make too good of a spokesman for the future after this one. Like say for Duncan or Dirk (or even Ray Allen) neither stepped up, but for opposite reasons. Duncan's team is old and hates spending money and Dirk's is the posterchild for burning money for the chip. Ray's is the blueprint for the superteam that the small markets hate. But where's Steve Nash?

The most likely person to me until this past summer would've been D.Wade. He's one of the very best players, embodied his city and wasn't leaving, came off as mature enough, and had an ongoing stake in the outcome. Just the perception of him. The attendance at Heat games wasn't too great. They'd won and were a couple signings away from being real contenders again, but their team needed to add talent. He was on his own, in his prime. Until last summer.

Who's left? LeBron, Carmelo, Dwight were always immature to me. And Durant's lockout tour puts him there too. Maybe Brandon Roy before his knee and all that retirement talk could've stepped up. Maybe Andrew Bogut if he didn't dead his arm (and lost all momentum getting his and his team respect) could've had a voice. Then Chris Paul and Deron Williams, who I think, both would've been great ambassadors, are in that same jumping franchises/superteam camp as we speak. Literally, the same behavior trying to outmaneuver the new CBA and get themselves into better situations, made sure none of them could help change public favor and better that same CBA.

One of them would've been able to keep the casual fan's attention and get across the seriousness of the situation and the player's side in the negotiations...instead we got left with Derek Fisher.. Utah Derek Fisher...OK, nice. 2011 Laker Fisher...who most people don't like, nor care much as a player. His story is the one with his daughter and a couple rainbow 3s. People don't consider him a part of the future of the NBA. His franchise doesn't really need anything, he's not reliant for paychecks or fair pay of his teammates. Just Derek Fisher. I get he's got credentials and knows his stuff, but this is the face of the NBA?

The PR game was won for the owners last summer.

Originally Posted by PMatic

Sportsnation poll

30t6p3b.gif

Everyone knows David Stern...but you're telling me Derek Fisher and no-name legacy lawyer are the face of the players?

A part of me thinks free agency '10 and '11 ruined most of the candidates. I mean Kobe and KG proved they can't or won't. Most of the big candidates are on luxury tax teams or on the last big contract they'll ever get. You gotta think, anyone who was known and around for the 1st lockout, wouldn't make too good of a spokesman for the future after this one. Like say for Duncan or Dirk (or even Ray Allen) neither stepped up, but for opposite reasons. Duncan's team is old and hates spending money and Dirk's is the posterchild for burning money for the chip. Ray's is the blueprint for the superteam that the small markets hate. But where's Steve Nash?

The most likely person to me until this past summer would've been D.Wade. He's one of the very best players, embodied his city and wasn't leaving, came off as mature enough, and had an ongoing stake in the outcome. Just the perception of him. The attendance at Heat games wasn't too great. They'd won and were a couple signings away from being real contenders again, but their team needed to add talent. He was on his own, in his prime. Until last summer.

Who's left? LeBron, Carmelo, Dwight were always immature to me. And Durant's lockout tour puts him there too. Maybe Brandon Roy before his knee and all that retirement talk could've stepped up. Maybe Andrew Bogut if he didn't dead his arm (and lost all momentum getting his and his team respect) could've had a voice. Then Chris Paul and Deron Williams, who I think, both would've been great ambassadors, are in that same jumping franchises/superteam camp as we speak. Literally, the same behavior trying to outmaneuver the new CBA and get themselves into better situations, made sure none of them could help change public favor and better that same CBA.

One of them would've been able to keep the casual fan's attention and get across the seriousness of the situation and the player's side in the negotiations...instead we got left with Derek Fisher.. Utah Derek Fisher...OK, nice. 2011 Laker Fisher...who most people don't like, nor care much as a player. His story is the one with his daughter and a couple rainbow 3s. People don't consider him a part of the future of the NBA. His franchise doesn't really need anything, he's not reliant for paychecks or fair pay of his teammates. Just Derek Fisher. I get he's got credentials and knows his stuff, but this is the face of the NBA?

The PR game was won for the owners last summer.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

I agree and, relatively speaking, I've been one of Stern's bigger defenders around here.  But I think 30 years is probably too long for any one person to hold a leadership position like NBA commissioner.  Given what's gone on with this disastrous CBA negotiation, its pretty clear that the NBA could benefit from some new blood in the leadership positions.  In particular, I think Stern's penchant for talking to pretty much the rest of the world like they're ignorant children played a big role in the player impasse.  It seems like something the union leadership or agents played up to help rally the players against the deal.  Get someone in there who's less pedantic and autocratic.  But if its going to be Adam Silver, don't bother replacing Stern.  He'd just be more of the same, I think.   

Originally Posted by Big J 33

I agree and, relatively speaking, I've been one of Stern's bigger defenders around here.  But I think 30 years is probably too long for any one person to hold a leadership position like NBA commissioner.  Given what's gone on with this disastrous CBA negotiation, its pretty clear that the NBA could benefit from some new blood in the leadership positions.  In particular, I think Stern's penchant for talking to pretty much the rest of the world like they're ignorant children played a big role in the player impasse.  It seems like something the union leadership or agents played up to help rally the players against the deal.  Get someone in there who's less pedantic and autocratic.  But if its going to be Adam Silver, don't bother replacing Stern.  He'd just be more of the same, I think.   

David doesn't work for the players or fans, he works for the owners. And if the owners have a problem with the system as has been apparent in these recent two labor disputes he's the one to carry out their agenda. The lockouts are understandable in terms of how drastic the issues at hand are. Why bring in someone else who probably won't be what he has been to the NBA over the past few decades? Face facts, he's expanded the NBA globally and is about to take hundreds of millions, damn near billions back from the players to give to the owners who employ him. I think he's done a pretty damn good job.
Fans typically hate commissioners so I hear where people are coming from but we all need to take a step back and look at the big picture sometimes.. 

David doesn't work for the players or fans, he works for the owners. And if the owners have a problem with the system as has been apparent in these recent two labor disputes he's the one to carry out their agenda. The lockouts are understandable in terms of how drastic the issues at hand are. Why bring in someone else who probably won't be what he has been to the NBA over the past few decades? Face facts, he's expanded the NBA globally and is about to take hundreds of millions, damn near billions back from the players to give to the owners who employ him. I think he's done a pretty damn good job.
Fans typically hate commissioners so I hear where people are coming from but we all need to take a step back and look at the big picture sometimes.. 

hes destroyed the NBA with his expansion. The main reason the talent is so diuluted is David Stern. He also continues to keep teams in markets that cant sustain them.

THIS IS ABOUT OWNER VS OWNER

we are going to have the same problems in 7 years if the owners dont deal with each other

hes destroyed the NBA with his expansion. The main reason the talent is so diuluted is David Stern. He also continues to keep teams in markets that cant sustain them.

THIS IS ABOUT OWNER VS OWNER

we are going to have the same problems in 7 years if the owners dont deal with each other

^
Exactly.  If this was owner v player we'd have a deal already, here's your 330 mil, let's play ball, but no, the owners want to duke it out now over all their failures. 
laugh.gif

Stern is an @#$ clown that may have done some good things, but has also ripped a team out of Seattle, sold the Warriors for way more than they should be valued, pissed off the players to the point they suddenly have backbone, and expanded over and over and over again IN SMALL MARKETS, the same ones pissing and moaning right now.  Yeah, helluva job there David. 
laugh.gif

Not to even mention how he didn't do enough prior to these past few weeks to have all this finished.  They should have had SEVERAL details already agreed upon by October, then hammer out the tough ones.  Jesus Christ, they still coming up with NEW things to argue over last week. 
sick.gif

I'm sorry, Stern has to go.  Good run, did a decent enough job, but there's too much shadyiness goin on with him, he needs to step down before it gets worse.  Finish the deal, take a year to act like all is well, then when it's quiet bow out.  That's all I'm askin for.  If he is still here in 6 years when one side opts out of the CBA, we're doomed. 

^
Exactly.  If this was owner v player we'd have a deal already, here's your 330 mil, let's play ball, but no, the owners want to duke it out now over all their failures. 
laugh.gif

Stern is an @#$ clown that may have done some good things, but has also ripped a team out of Seattle, sold the Warriors for way more than they should be valued, pissed off the players to the point they suddenly have backbone, and expanded over and over and over again IN SMALL MARKETS, the same ones pissing and moaning right now.  Yeah, helluva job there David. 
laugh.gif

Not to even mention how he didn't do enough prior to these past few weeks to have all this finished.  They should have had SEVERAL details already agreed upon by October, then hammer out the tough ones.  Jesus Christ, they still coming up with NEW things to argue over last week. 
sick.gif

I'm sorry, Stern has to go.  Good run, did a decent enough job, but there's too much shadyiness goin on with him, he needs to step down before it gets worse.  Finish the deal, take a year to act like all is well, then when it's quiet bow out.  That's all I'm askin for.  If he is still here in 6 years when one side opts out of the CBA, we're doomed. 

In incompetency of having your best season in over a *%%$%!+ decade, getting casual fans back on your side and than blowing it like this.  It's mind numbing incompetence.  They ruined my winter.

In incompetency of having your best season in over a *%%$%!+ decade, getting casual fans back on your side and than blowing it like this.  It's mind numbing incompetence.  They ruined my winter.

Originally Posted by seasoned vet

NBA Players are idiots. I have no sympathy for these clowns.
Are you going to say anything meaningful in here, or just troll as per usual?  I'm asking a serious question. 

Airmax, I agree.  I have been going door to door talkin to people I know trying to get them to understand it is not just the players. They players gave back the money, we should be playing ball, instead, the owners want to blow up the system.  A system that made 4.4 billion in one year, they want to blow that up. 
grin.gif
eyes.gif
  Unfathomable to me. 

I don't really mean door to door people, I mean in general when people bring up the topic around me, I try to explain things to them that they simply don't get.  They think the players want more money, the end.   
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by seasoned vet

NBA Players are idiots. I have no sympathy for these clowns.
Are you going to say anything meaningful in here, or just troll as per usual?  I'm asking a serious question. 

Airmax, I agree.  I have been going door to door talkin to people I know trying to get them to understand it is not just the players. They players gave back the money, we should be playing ball, instead, the owners want to blow up the system.  A system that made 4.4 billion in one year, they want to blow that up. 
grin.gif
eyes.gif
  Unfathomable to me. 

I don't really mean door to door people, I mean in general when people bring up the topic around me, I try to explain things to them that they simply don't get.  They think the players want more money, the end.   
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom