The Official NBA Collective Bargaining Thread vol Phased in Hard Cap

I don't get it. What's the correlation between these players and these cities?

What does KD, Chauncey, Melo, and Kawhi Leonard have to do with California? Leon Powe went to Cal, but that's it.
laugh.gif

Same with Minnesota. Tolliver plays for the Wolves, but what's up with these weird districts and players with virtually no connection to the city?
nerd.gif

What does KD, Chauncey, Melo, and Kawhi Leonard have to do with California? Leon Powe went to Cal, but that's it.
laugh.gif

Same with Minnesota. Tolliver plays for the Wolves, but what's up with these weird districts and players with virtually no connection to the city?
nerd.gif

My completely uneducated and likely completely wrong guess: they can file in any state they've played games in (as a professional) because they are conducting business, and this way they can find more favorable courts.

My completely uneducated and likely completely wrong guess: they can file in any state they've played games in (as a professional) because they are conducting business, and this way they can find more favorable courts.

Caron Butler and Ben Gordon are represented by the same agent. Butler is a free agent, Gordon and Anthony Tolliver are under contract and Derrick Williams is an unsigned rookie, which represent all sides of the lockout.

Minnesota apparently gave a favorable ruling to the NFL's union as well.

Caron Butler and Ben Gordon are represented by the same agent. Butler is a free agent, Gordon and Anthony Tolliver are under contract and Derrick Williams is an unsigned rookie, which represent all sides of the lockout.

Minnesota apparently gave a favorable ruling to the NFL's union as well.

This is way above my pay grade haha

That's a good guess. Sounds correct. Plus different states may be more friendly to the players

This is way above my pay grade haha

That's a good guess. Sounds correct. Plus different states may be more friendly to the players

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

laugh.gif

nerd.gif
I looked at the complaint the players filed in the Minnesota lawsuit.  There's no allegations in the complaint that tie any of the players to Minnesota other than Anthony Tolliver.  Since the case was filed as a class action on behalf of the players, I think they only need one of the players to have a connection with Minnesota in order for that court to have jurisdiction over the case.  Based on that, I think the division of the players between the California and Minnesota suites was just random.  But the reason that California and Minnesota were selected for the lawsuits is because the case law from the two courts of appeal that preside over those areas is favorable to players on antitrust issues. 

I think the players filed two suits just to hedge their bets and give themselvese a better chance of getting some relief quickly.  Either the California or Minnesota court, if they side with the players, would have the authority to issue an injunction order requiring the league to lift the lockout.  Of course, as in the NFL case, that kind of order would be immediately appealed by the league.  And I'm sure the league is going to fight to get all of the cases consoliated in N.Y.     

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

laugh.gif

nerd.gif
I looked at the complaint the players filed in the Minnesota lawsuit.  There's no allegations in the complaint that tie any of the players to Minnesota other than Anthony Tolliver.  Since the case was filed as a class action on behalf of the players, I think they only need one of the players to have a connection with Minnesota in order for that court to have jurisdiction over the case.  Based on that, I think the division of the players between the California and Minnesota suites was just random.  But the reason that California and Minnesota were selected for the lawsuits is because the case law from the two courts of appeal that preside over those areas is favorable to players on antitrust issues. 

I think the players filed two suits just to hedge their bets and give themselvese a better chance of getting some relief quickly.  Either the California or Minnesota court, if they side with the players, would have the authority to issue an injunction order requiring the league to lift the lockout.  Of course, as in the NFL case, that kind of order would be immediately appealed by the league.  And I'm sure the league is going to fight to get all of the cases consoliated in N.Y.     

I want to see how this plays out. I thought Stern needed to go even before getting to this point, so I'll leave that alone. But reference is players association should have decertified earlier, they didn't know that owners were going to be so unflexible this late in the game because owners didn't even really start negotiating "in good faith," until about 3 weeks ago.

I agree with CP that most people don't get it well enough who blaim the players. That's not to say everyone but many on twitter, facebook, and in real life kept thinking the players wanted more money and don't even understand how much the players gave back or even what the other system issues are.
Also, is there really a precedent for all contracts becoming voided? Would they even want to do that? I mean, then what? 450 free agents and a new system? a 15 round draft? Captains? Because if it is as simple as calling them free agents, the "small market" cities are really going to get screwed when Chris Paul calls Dwyane Wade who calls LeBron who calls Durants who calls Dwight Howard and they all say, "let's go to ______." Damn sure won't be Minnesota.

I want to see how this plays out. I thought Stern needed to go even before getting to this point, so I'll leave that alone. But reference is players association should have decertified earlier, they didn't know that owners were going to be so unflexible this late in the game because owners didn't even really start negotiating "in good faith," until about 3 weeks ago.

I agree with CP that most people don't get it well enough who blaim the players. That's not to say everyone but many on twitter, facebook, and in real life kept thinking the players wanted more money and don't even understand how much the players gave back or even what the other system issues are.
Also, is there really a precedent for all contracts becoming voided? Would they even want to do that? I mean, then what? 450 free agents and a new system? a 15 round draft? Captains? Because if it is as simple as calling them free agents, the "small market" cities are really going to get screwed when Chris Paul calls Dwyane Wade who calls LeBron who calls Durants who calls Dwight Howard and they all say, "let's go to ______." Damn sure won't be Minnesota.

Originally Posted by amel223

I hate this.  I rather discuss about why Derrick Rose is the best pg in the nba than discuss legal issues 
tired.gif
I was having a hilarious discussion about this last night. You can tell who the die-hard NBA fans are by the extent of their knowledge of collective bargaining. Now, we will see the separation of addicts and degenerates from die-hards with knowledge of  anti-trust case history and legislation. 

I hate this.  I rather discuss about why Derrick Rose is the best pg in the nba than discuss legal issues 
tired.gif
I was having a hilarious discussion about this last night. You can tell who the die-hard NBA fans are by the extent of their knowledge of collective bargaining. Now, we will see the separation of addicts and degenerates from die-hards with knowledge of  anti-trust case history and legislation. 

Originally Posted by HankMoody

tired.gif
Being a fan of basketball is far more entertaining than being a fan of the NBA

Originally Posted by HankMoody

tired.gif
Being a fan of basketball is far more entertaining than being a fan of the NBA

Yeah loving basketball and loving the NBA so much you're willing to immerse yourself in everything that has to do with the CBA and the current lockout are two different things. I love the Knicks that much but not the NBA in it's entirety.

Yeah loving basketball and loving the NBA so much you're willing to immerse yourself in everything that has to do with the CBA and the current lockout are two different things. I love the Knicks that much but not the NBA in it's entirety.

Back
Top Bottom