The Official NBA Collective Bargaining Thread vol Phased in Hard Cap

Originally Posted by amel223

Wow.  I had a dream that the Chicago Bulls was playing tonight.

I literally got so excited, that I woke up... then I remembered that the lockout was still alive and strong. 

frown.gif

Happy thanksgiving, ppl. 
it's better than staying up late pretending your on Inside the NBA going over the Pacific division with EJ, Kenny, and Chuck

frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Fisher to rejoin NBA’s labor talks

After deliberating for 24 hours, Players Association president Derek Fisher flew to New York on Thursday night to prepare for Friday’s labor settlement meeting with the NBA, a league source told Yahoo! Sports.

His appearance in this week’s negotiations – along with that of several other key Players Association officials – figures to run the risk of validating the league’s charges that the disbanding of the union was a “sham

Fisher to rejoin NBA’s labor talks

After deliberating for 24 hours, Players Association president Derek Fisher flew to New York on Thursday night to prepare for Friday’s labor settlement meeting with the NBA, a league source told Yahoo! Sports.

His appearance in this week’s negotiations – along with that of several other key Players Association officials – figures to run the risk of validating the league’s charges that the disbanding of the union was a “sham

Originally Posted by HOOD17

I literally got so excited, that I woke up... then I remembered that the lockout was still alive and strong. 

frown.gif

Happy thanksgiving, ppl. 
it's better than staying up late pretending your on Inside the NBA going over the Pacific division with EJ, Kenny, and Chuck

frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
Yea it is better, lol.  I feel your pain though. 

frown.gif

Originally Posted by HOOD17

frown.gif

Happy thanksgiving, ppl. 

frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
Yea it is better, lol.  I feel your pain though. 

frown.gif

That could be a bad move sending DFish if they still don't reach a deal. They should just have him there in proxy, send anyone else and they can txt or call with Fish if necessary. Again the $@$% ain't Rocket Science, find out what he (they) want and the bottom line do not cross points where you have to say no and get someone else, unless they feel like he personally has some sort of positive affect to the situation where the owners favor him and are going to be more agreeable to him but we that not to be the case. Hell, send all white players and just throw a wrinkle in everything. And have them wear suits! Now I'm the first to say society judges a book by its cover too much, and people shouldn't judge you on how you dress, etc. but I mean this is one instance when I will rock with the "dress like you care" way of thinking. Maybe in a suit and looking more professional, the owners said sees you more as an equal side of the issue and worthy of compromise with. Players respect Hunter and Fish, they should just put it out there

That could be a bad move sending DFish if they still don't reach a deal. They should just have him there in proxy, send anyone else and they can txt or call with Fish if necessary. Again the $@$% ain't Rocket Science, find out what he (they) want and the bottom line do not cross points where you have to say no and get someone else, unless they feel like he personally has some sort of positive affect to the situation where the owners favor him and are going to be more agreeable to him but we that not to be the case. Hell, send all white players and just throw a wrinkle in everything. And have them wear suits! Now I'm the first to say society judges a book by its cover too much, and people shouldn't judge you on how you dress, etc. but I mean this is one instance when I will rock with the "dress like you care" way of thinking. Maybe in a suit and looking more professional, the owners said sees you more as an equal side of the issue and worthy of compromise with. Players respect Hunter and Fish, they should just put it out there

Howard Beck
@HowardBeckNYT Howard Beck
A few notes about the framework for today's NBA talks: 1. They are picking up where they left off Nov. 10: Same 50-50 proposal on table
39 minutes ago via web

2. These are technically "settlement" talks bc of players' lawsuit, but they are being treated as extension of previous negotiations.
38 minutes ago via web

3. All parties agreed IN ADVANCE that nothing in these talks would impact the litigation or be used to prove either side's case in court.
38 minutes ago via web

Howard Beck
A few notes about the framework for today's NBA talks: 1. They are picking up where they left off Nov. 10: Same 50-50 proposal on table
39 minutes ago via web

2. These are technically "settlement" talks bc of players' lawsuit, but they are being treated as extension of previous negotiations.
38 minutes ago via web

3. All parties agreed IN ADVANCE that nothing in these talks would impact the litigation or be used to prove either side's case in court.
38 minutes ago via web

Looking for a deal on Black Friday

Negotiators for the NBA owners and players were set to meet on Black Friday for litigation settlement talks in the hopes of laying the groundwork for a collective bargaining agreement to save the 2011-12 season.

The starting point in the negotiations essentially will be where the bargaining talks left off Nov. 10, when the players were left with an ultimatum from the league to accept the framework of a 50-50 revenue split or face a far worse offer. Instead of sending the proposal to the union membership for a vote, the National Basketball Players Association dissolved Nov. 14 and launched multiple antitrust lawsuits against the league's owners.

With those dynamics in mind, the talks take the form of a legal settlement as opposed to a collective bargaining resolution -- with many of the same participants still involved but some new faces, too. The players' lead attorney in the antitrust action, David Boies, has teamed with former NBPA lead outside counsel Jim Quinn in an effort to push the deal across the finish line. Multiple people connected to the talks have told CBSSports.com that the discussions could move quickly towards a deal after the momentum gained in the past week from back-channel talks spearheaded by Quinn, who was a key figure in ending the 1998-99 lockout. But one person in frequent contact with ownership cautioned that it may take the entire weekend to find common ground, adding that there "could be some anxiety" in the room Friday.

Spurs owner Peter Holt, chairman of the owners' labor relations committee, also was in New York for Friday's settlement conference on the 148th day of the lockout, as was former union president Derek Fisher, sources told CBSSports.com. Tempestuous players attorney Jeffrey Kessler will not be present. While Kessler still is "very much involved," according to a source, he no longer has the role of lead negotiator for the players and has been replaced in that capacity by Quinn, a voice of reason with a long history of deal-making with key figures and attorneys on both sides of the dispute.

The players are hopeful that the owners will be willing to offer substantial movement on a handful of system-related issues around which the talks crumbled two weeks ago, resulting in the unprecedented disclaimer of the NBPA and threatening that the season would be swallowed up by lengthy, costly and unpredictable antitrust litigation. To account for some of those concessions, which would result in a more flexible and opportunistic free-agent market than the owners last proposed, it is possible that the split of revenues could inch upward above 50 percent for the players -- with the remaining difference accounted for by an escrow system capped at 10 percent as teams and players adjust to a reset of player salaries and more restrictive system than the one that existed under the CBA that expired July 1.

The most difficult issues to resolve will be the availability of the mid-level exception for luxury tax-paying teams; sign-and-trade transactions for tax payers; and the definition of a tax payer. Coming out of the collapsed bargaining talks, these were the items that bothered the players the most in terms of restricting player movement -- especially the notion that a team would be considered a tax payer prior to use of an exception that pushed it over the tax line, as opposed to afterward.

But while the owners' legal representatives -- principally, Jeffrey Mishkin and the firm of Proskauer Rose as outside counsel, and NBA general counsel Rick Buchanan -- are not expected to fully move toward the players on all the outstanding system issues, there has been "positive movement" from the owners in recent days "to get a deal done," according to the person in contact with ownership. The biggest factor in the potential for a deal by the end of the weekend is not the players' lawsuits, but something much more predictable and relentless: the calendar.

Both sides understand that a season tipoff on Christmas, which would deliver a 66-game regular season with the NBA Finals pushed back only one week, would require an agreement by Monday at the latest. Even that would be pushing it; the league will need about 30 days to finalize the deal and hold an abbreviated free-agent period, training camps and preseason games.

As necessitated by the union's disclaimer, any legal settlement wouldn't be able to take the form of a CBA until the union reformed and was recognized by the owners.
Link

Looking for a deal on Black Friday

Negotiators for the NBA owners and players were set to meet on Black Friday for litigation settlement talks in the hopes of laying the groundwork for a collective bargaining agreement to save the 2011-12 season.

The starting point in the negotiations essentially will be where the bargaining talks left off Nov. 10, when the players were left with an ultimatum from the league to accept the framework of a 50-50 revenue split or face a far worse offer. Instead of sending the proposal to the union membership for a vote, the National Basketball Players Association dissolved Nov. 14 and launched multiple antitrust lawsuits against the league's owners.

With those dynamics in mind, the talks take the form of a legal settlement as opposed to a collective bargaining resolution -- with many of the same participants still involved but some new faces, too. The players' lead attorney in the antitrust action, David Boies, has teamed with former NBPA lead outside counsel Jim Quinn in an effort to push the deal across the finish line. Multiple people connected to the talks have told CBSSports.com that the discussions could move quickly towards a deal after the momentum gained in the past week from back-channel talks spearheaded by Quinn, who was a key figure in ending the 1998-99 lockout. But one person in frequent contact with ownership cautioned that it may take the entire weekend to find common ground, adding that there "could be some anxiety" in the room Friday.

Spurs owner Peter Holt, chairman of the owners' labor relations committee, also was in New York for Friday's settlement conference on the 148th day of the lockout, as was former union president Derek Fisher, sources told CBSSports.com. Tempestuous players attorney Jeffrey Kessler will not be present. While Kessler still is "very much involved," according to a source, he no longer has the role of lead negotiator for the players and has been replaced in that capacity by Quinn, a voice of reason with a long history of deal-making with key figures and attorneys on both sides of the dispute.

The players are hopeful that the owners will be willing to offer substantial movement on a handful of system-related issues around which the talks crumbled two weeks ago, resulting in the unprecedented disclaimer of the NBPA and threatening that the season would be swallowed up by lengthy, costly and unpredictable antitrust litigation. To account for some of those concessions, which would result in a more flexible and opportunistic free-agent market than the owners last proposed, it is possible that the split of revenues could inch upward above 50 percent for the players -- with the remaining difference accounted for by an escrow system capped at 10 percent as teams and players adjust to a reset of player salaries and more restrictive system than the one that existed under the CBA that expired July 1.

The most difficult issues to resolve will be the availability of the mid-level exception for luxury tax-paying teams; sign-and-trade transactions for tax payers; and the definition of a tax payer. Coming out of the collapsed bargaining talks, these were the items that bothered the players the most in terms of restricting player movement -- especially the notion that a team would be considered a tax payer prior to use of an exception that pushed it over the tax line, as opposed to afterward.

But while the owners' legal representatives -- principally, Jeffrey Mishkin and the firm of Proskauer Rose as outside counsel, and NBA general counsel Rick Buchanan -- are not expected to fully move toward the players on all the outstanding system issues, there has been "positive movement" from the owners in recent days "to get a deal done," according to the person in contact with ownership. The biggest factor in the potential for a deal by the end of the weekend is not the players' lawsuits, but something much more predictable and relentless: the calendar.

Both sides understand that a season tipoff on Christmas, which would deliver a 66-game regular season with the NBA Finals pushed back only one week, would require an agreement by Monday at the latest. Even that would be pushing it; the league will need about 30 days to finalize the deal and hold an abbreviated free-agent period, training camps and preseason games.

As necessitated by the union's disclaimer, any legal settlement wouldn't be able to take the form of a CBA until the union reformed and was recognized by the owners.
Link

So if they get a deal done this weekend we will have games starting on Xmas............... I hope they do but something tells me I just need to move on
frown.gif

So if they get a deal done this weekend we will have games starting on Xmas............... I hope they do but something tells me I just need to move on
frown.gif

Nobody should hold their hopes up on them getting a deal done.
How many times should our hearts be broken? Ive moved on, so should yall

Nobody should hold their hopes up on them getting a deal done.
How many times should our hearts be broken? Ive moved on, so should yall

I don't want to move on. I have hope, you heartless @#$#@

Spoiler [+]
this was a joke.  you're not heartless <3

I don't want to move on. I have hope, you heartless @#$#@

Spoiler [+]
this was a joke.  you're not heartless <3

"NBPA Executive committee members privately expressing unprecedented optimism that a deal will get done this time," Sam Amick wrote. "League sources too."

"NBPA Executive committee members privately expressing unprecedented optimism that a deal will get done this time," Sam Amick wrote. "League sources too."

I don't think anything gets done until the loss of the entire season becomes a legitimate threat.

I don't think anything gets done until the loss of the entire season becomes a legitimate threat.

Back
Top Bottom