When You Talk To God, Is The Response From Him or Is It From You Talking To Yourself

i know i clowned on u in the past, but forget that.
my criticism is more in regard to what the comments turn into.
i am all for discussion but people on both sides just wind up insulting and flaming each other.
moreover, the more intelligent NTers know how to present very subtle underhanded insults.
for once i would like a discussion to stay on topic.
for example you were making excellent points in the gay marriage thread. but people who just have issues against you took to arguing. it went from a discussion regarding opinion to an argument filled with juvenile insuls towards u.
now i'm all for the lulz and teasing you about drake, but when people begin to flame you for having a wide view on social justice, thats where i draw my line.
and you know its going to wind up happening here.
if DC made this thread in a serious tone, I would have loved to hear people's opinion.
Like i already know the atheist perspective, but i would like some insight for those who actually have faith.
Science is logical and at times clear cut.
faith, is more opinion and can become very complex.
I want to hear that stuff.
not the atheist suck, no believers suck bs that goes on.

I like this response.

It's damn true. It happens time after time. People get emotional and discussions turn into personal attacks. It's embarrassing.

You got that guy in here talking about "legend has it..." :lol:

George Carlin is the most overrated comedian I've ever had the privelge of watching he did the equivalent of Clint Eastwoods chair rant every single show dude was a tired bitter old man who only complained and called everybody an idiot.
you have to realize the time he came from.
he didn't pack the lulz, but no one was speaking that openly before.

Like Howard Stern is no comedian, but I guess he gets props from breaking that barrier.

Last edited:
FutureMD, you remind me of a philosophy teacher I had back in college circa 2003.

The entire class day in and day out was him challenging students to discredit him and prove he is wrong with some wild statements.

He would challenge folks to prove something exist.....like "Prove to me that Wendy's chilli you are eating is really chilli." And then proceed to rattle off theories and hypothetical situations on how you cannot prove that it is really chilli.

FutureMD, you remind me of a philosophy teacher I had back in college circa 2003.

The entire class day in and day out was him challenging students to discredit him and prove he is wrong with some wild statements.

He would challenge folks to prove something exist.....like "Prove to me that Wendy's chilli you are eating is really chilli." And then proceed to rattle off theories and hypothetical situations on how you cannot prove that it is really chilli.

which is refreshing on a board full of kids spewing their opinions, with no logic behind them, other than "because"

if you're upset with someone that asks questions, your anger and disappointment are internal.

Last edited:

...ok? 
laugh.gif

which is refreshing on a board full of kids spewing their opinions, with no logic behind them, other than "because"
if you're upset with someone that asks questions, your anger and disappointment are internal.

Upset? For what. There was no emotion or connotation with that post. A mere observation. I don't put emotion into those kind of things. There was no implications or subliminal messages.

Just an observation....relax, not every post/comment made towards you is gunning for your head, even though I could imagine with all the shots and flak you get how one could feel that way.

Just a lighter note. The post was more for myself and a memory that was triggered. That is all. :lol:

Upset? For what. There was no emotion or connotation with that post. A mere observation. I don't put emotion into those kind of things. There was no implications or subliminal messages.

wasn't directed at you, just NT in general every time his sn is brought up.

As for the topic at hand, I can speak on how I felt when I was a believer. When I prayed, I often prayed for things I wanted to happen. Goals, aspirations, protection. Like most, I prayed to do well on school. I would pray with my sports teams and give thanks for victories. I prayed for things that were out of my control. After 9/11, I prayed that my parents would be kept safe on their travels. When I was much younger, I was afraid of turbulence on flights and would pray HARD to get to my destination in one piece :lol:.

Being older now, I see that praying was a coping mechanism. It helped me "feel" better about things I couldn't control. It was false assurance. It was a placebo. Now that I'm a nonbeliever, what do I do differently? I still have the same fears and misgivings but I just... accept them. I don't think anyone or anything has some power to affect change. Some might say "things happen for a reason" and I'd agree that they do. I don't know what those reasons are and I damn sure don't think a god is the cause.

As for the topic at hand, I can speak on how I felt when I was a believer. When I prayed, I often prayed for things I wanted to happen. Goals, aspirations, protection. Like most, I prayed to do well on school. I would pray with my sports teams and give thanks for victories. I prayed for things that were out of my control. After 9/11, I prayed that my parents would be kept safe on their travels. When I was much younger, I was afraid of turbulence on flights and would pray HARD to get to my destination in one piece :lol:.
Being older now, I see that praying was a coping mechanism. It helped me "feel" better about things I couldn't control. It was false assurance. It was a placebo. Now that I'm a nonbeliever, what do I do differently? I still have the same fears and misgivings but I just... accept them. I don't think anyone or anything has some power to affect change. Some might say "things happen for a reason" and I'd agree that they do. I don't know what those reasons are and I damn sure don't think a god is the cause.

thank you for opening up about that experience.

did you have a specific "turning point"?

I like this response.
It's damn true. It happens time after time. People get emotional and discussions turn into personal attacks. It's embarrassing.
You got that guy in here talking about "legend has it..."
laugh.gif
I am now convinced that you are probably an idiot.

As for the topic at hand, I can speak on how I felt when I was a believer. When I prayed, I often prayed for things I wanted to happen. Goals, aspirations, protection. Like most, I prayed to do well on school. I would pray with my sports teams and give thanks for victories. I prayed for things that were out of my control. After 9/11, I prayed that my parents would be kept safe on their travels. When I was much younger, I was afraid of turbulence on flights and would pray HARD to get to my destination in one piece
laugh.gif

thank you for opening up about that experience.

did you have a specific "turning point"?
I won't lie...while I never really believed, for a long time I was afraid of saying something like "screw god" because I didn't want anything to happen. Like in the back of your head you're afraid that lightning will strike you or something. I also didn't want anyone to hear me then have something happen and have them blame it on what I said or make that coincidence as being related. I really needed an isolated trial to really test this out. 

I was at the stop light once and I was thinking about this stuff and I was just like "**** god"...waited...nothing happened...then I said it again... and it was this period of SUPER relief.

It was like mentally I held myself back from doing even what I knew wouldn't matter. 

Last edited:
lmao, I don't think God is supposed to talk to anyone directly or indirectly.
I think that's an insanely selfish idea.

What's the point of living your life if you're just taking direction?
Doesn't mean God doesn't exist, just means free will is ... just that.

I believe God might be the math, science, nature, order, disarray around us.
that's about it, not something to talk to.

Last edited:
I won't lie...while I never really believed, for a long time I was afraid of saying something like "screw god" because I didn't want anything to happen. Like in the back of your head you're afraid that lightning will strike you or something. I also didn't want anyone to hear me then have something happen and have them blame it on what I said or make that coincidence as being related. 

I was at the stop light once and I was thinking about this stuff and I was just like "**** god"...waited...nothing happened...then I said it again... and it was this period of SUPER relief.

It was like mentally I held myself back from doing even what I knew wouldn't matter. 

thanks for that!

part of what scares people about science and academics is that they often become suspicious of the lack of personal convection. in short, it can be dry (trust me Grad school can be snoozefest at times).

but i appreciate you sharing a personal part of your past.

i think these discussions would go better if people acknowledge that our experiences and history will shape our opinions. all of which are unique to our own selves.

For me, I'm not sure if i believe.
Its funny bc my classmate texted me to watch american horror story last night

and she asked me about possessions vs psychotic breaks.

and we opened up to each toehr regarding our interpretation of faith.

i wish more of NT dialogue can look like that.

on a side note, that show is pretty cool so i'll be watching it.

also. said classmate is so cute. would simp. beta dont care.

Maybe folks manifest god through their inner conscious for instance maybe through relgious teachings folks learn to internalize and find a medium where they are able to make judgements and decisions based off their relgious teachings and own personal convictions.So they manifest god that way

Last edited:
I won't lie...while I never really believed, for a long time I was afraid of saying something like "screw god" because I didn't want anything to happen. Like in the back of your head you're afraid that lightning will strike you or something. I also didn't want anyone to hear me then have something happen and have them blame it on what I said or make that coincidence as being related. 

thanks for that!

part of what scares people about science and academics is that they often become suspicious of the lack of personal convection. in short, it can be dry (trust me Grad school can be snoozefest at times).

but i appreciate you sharing a personal part of your past.

i think these discussions would go better if people acknowledge that our experiences and history will shape our opinions. all of which are unique to our own selves.

For me, I'm not sure if i believe.
Its funny bc my classmate texted me to watch american horror story last night

and she asked me about possessions vs psychotic breaks.

and we opened up to each toehr regarding our interpretation of faith.

i wish more of NT dialogue can look like that.

on a side note, that show is pretty cool so i'll be watching it.

also. said classmate is so cute. would simp. beta dont care.
Honestly its kinda funny.

When I look back on it, I don't know what my hang up was in the first place.

Why would it matter to god if I said it, or thought it?

Would god really not be able to know what I'm thinking as opposed to saying it? 

Here are some simple questions to know where you stand:

Do you know if a god(s) exists? Yes or no.

Do you believe that a god(s) exists? Yes or no.

"Maybe" is not an answer for either question.

Tell me your answers as short as possible and i'll tell you where you stand. Gnosticism (knowledge) is different from Theism(belief).

Maybe folks manifest god through their inner conscious for instance maybe through relgious teachings folks learn to internalize and find a medium where they are able to make judgements and decisions based off their relgious teachings and own personal convictions.So they manifest god that way
What does this mean?

It sounds like this:

Last edited:
lmao, I don't think God is supposed to talk to anyone directly or indirectly.
I think that's an insanely selfish idea.
What's the point of living your life if you're just taking direction?
Doesn't mean God doesn't exist, just means free will is ... just that.
I believe God might be the math, science, nature, order, disarray around us.
that's about it, not something to talk to.
this is an interesting perspective.

In addition to what you stated. I personally think that some people overrate their experiences, some people are even misinformed in the confines of their own religion, some people assume that their lives are a little 'too important'! As a result you get christians or otherwise thanking god for frivolous and trivial concerns ('thank God I found that stripper last night'), and blaming god for their own mistakes ('God made me broke because he made me make it rain at the strip club last night'). This distracts from more fundamental issues dealing with their own personal faith.

Back
Top Bottom