When You Talk To God, Is The Response From Him or Is It From You Talking To Yourself

There are. And no I don't think all Muslims are school girl killing cowards. There are too many religious factions for there to be one unifying stereotype. I wasn't saying religious people don't have stereotypes, I was simply mentioning that atheist stereotypes are pretty damn amusing. That like me asking a Christian if they are religious because they got raped by Satan. I suppose religious people are so indoctrinated into their religions that they can't fathom someone not believing without some traumatic life event.
roll.gif

Interestingly, every story told by religious people about others converting into their religion begins with some traumatic event that God saves them from. I used to be a Muslim, I almost died, someone gave me a book, now I'm Christian.
[h2]Definition of STEREOTYPE[/h2]

:  to make a stereotype from

a  :  to repeat without variation :  make hackneyedb  :  to develop a mental stereotype about

— ste·reo·typ·er  noun

[h2] [/h2]

I feel that stereotyping can be distracting, and forces the person being stereotyped to listen or acknowledge the other persons position. It also impedes the person stereotyping from perhaps persuading the person they are debating with. Wouldn't you agree?

Wait what? Thats not even true. I don't know what that is. 
roll.gif

Dudes are making up ANYTHING these days. You're going to have to try harder than that. 
I suppose "legends" do not necessarily have to be true? I am confident that legends are not always true. But they, very possibly, might be true.

Last edited:
So you said god allowed your grandma to quit her job succesfully...but was that not something that she did under her own volition?

Bingo...so how do you distinguish what you do from what you claim god does?

Well a BUNCH of people acting en masse control gas prices, but we all have an effect.

But that has no bearing on the existence of said deity. 

So god exists in the manner you WANT him to? Or does it ACTUALLY exist in that manner?

I think this matters more than anything. 

I mean after a few drinks I can look at a girl with more intent than I ACTUALLY might otherwise.  :rofl:

...that doesn't make any sense.

That just means you didn't knock down all the rain forest. 

Thats like saying, theres still water in this glass, and it gives you hope that there is an external force out there that leave more in the glass. 

There's nothing wrong with valuing those close to you, but you realize this is the same god that allowed your grandma to retire early but allowed a faithful goer to church to die IN his own church.

Something isn't consistent there. 

If you find a problem with god, is god allowing you to think that or do you actually find a fault in god?

Interesting.

Are you also holding out on unicorns?

No offense, but the thing is if you're saying anything is possible then ANYTHING is possible. Literally. 

Does this give you leeway to make up what you want to be true rather than what you can actually confirm? 

I said I'd thank god for her quitting when she did. Her quitting was all her doing. The timing is what I attribute to something greater than her own will.

I honestly don't recall claiming what god actually does because I don't know.

That is exactly what it means. God is that being which none greater can be thought to exist. My thoughts of what a god ought to be is what I believe in. I could be wrong. I could be wrong for not believing in Allah, or Jesus. Thing is, I don't claim that my thought is the infallible truth.

It makes perfect sense, silly. Man has the ability to destroy, but doesn't. That goodness in man is what I'm thankful for. Not that God made them save the rainforest.

I do realize that, and I have already acknowledged my qualm with that inconsistency, so what is your point?

I actually find fault in god. I could be a religious man who holds convictions to a god who would have me believe that it is so because he said so, but instead I exercise my will to question the aspect of suffering.

Anything is possible. Literally. You yourself have said that you don't know if god exists. Your uncertainty means hat you acknowledge that the possibility exists.

No, it gives me leeway to see the world for what it is and what it could be. I see the good, and the bad. I understand that there are things that can be explained and explained by visible causality, and I understand that there are things that cannot be explained.

I believe God responds to you within the means of your conscience.
what are your thoughts on god "responding" to people of different religions. every religion claims to be right, so religions cannot coexist. if that's the case, why do people of different religions claim to be talking to god?

So you said god allowed your grandma to quit her job succesfully...but was that not something that she did under her own volition?

Bingo...so how do you distinguish what you do from what you claim god does?

Well a BUNCH of people acting en masse control gas prices, but we all have an effect.

But that has no bearing on the existence of said deity. 

So god exists in the manner you WANT him to? Or does it ACTUALLY exist in that manner?

I think this matters more than anything. 

I mean after a few drinks I can look at a girl with more intent than I ACTUALLY might otherwise.  
roll.gif

...that doesn't make any sense.

That just means you didn't knock down all the rain forest. 

Thats like saying, theres still water in this glass, and it gives you hope that there is an external force out there that leave more in the glass. 

There's nothing wrong with valuing those close to you, but you realize this is the same god that allowed your grandma to retire early but allowed a faithful goer to church to die IN his own church.

Something isn't consistent there. 

If you find a problem with god, is god allowing you to think that or do you actually find a fault in god?

Interesting.

Are you also holding out on unicorns?

No offense, but the thing is if you're saying anything is possible then ANYTHING is possible. Literally. 

Does this give you leeway to make up what you want to be true rather than what you can actually confirm? 
I said I'd thank god for her quitting when she did. Her quitting was all her doing. The timing is what I attribute to something greater than her own will.
So you're thanking the same "god" that let your grandma quit her job at a place where 6 days later someone else was killed at, in a church no less? 

I mean if quitting was under her volition, then why are you thanking god for that? 

Either he did it, or he didn't. 
I honestly don't recall claiming what god actually does because I don't know.
So how do you know what to thank it for?

If thats the case you're technically justified to say everything or nothing is the result of said god. 

That is exactly what it means. God is that being which none greater can be thought to exist.
Is that so? Or is that what you WANT to be so?
 My thoughts of what a god ought to be is what I believe in.
But is that thing actually there or is it there only because you want it to be there?

Am I millionaire if I merely think I am?
I could be wrong. I could be wrong for not believing in Allah, or Jesus.
So why submit to one of them?
Thing is, I don't claim that my thought is the infallible truth.
I don't either.

But you still choose to think that god is responsible for these actions...so which is it?

At what point do you validate if it is there or not?

It makes perfect sense, silly. Man has the ability to destroy, but doesn't. That goodness in man is what I'm thankful for. Not that God made them save the rainforest.
But then its merely "men"...not god.

I do realize that, and I have already acknowledged my qualm with that inconsistency, so what is your point?
Moving on.

I actually find fault in god. I could be a religious man who holds convictions to a god who would have me believe that it is so because he said so, but instead I exercise my will to question the aspect of suffering.
Same here.

Anything is possible. Literally. You yourself have said that you don't know if god exists. Your uncertainty means hat you acknowledge that the possibility exists.
Actually, the probability doesn't exist.

I can't claim to have knowledge of something...I don't have knowledge of. 

You can't assign a probability to something you don't know the extent of.

No, it gives me leeway to see the world for what it is and what it could be.
So you can make up anything merely because you want it to be true?
I see the good, and the bad. I understand that there are things that can be explained and explained by visible causality, and I understand that there are things that cannot be explained.
but again, does that give you the leeway to make up what you want to be true?

what are your thoughts on god "responding" to people of different religions. every religion claims to be right, so religions cannot coexist. if that's the case, why do people of different religions claim to be talking to god?
In keeping with this point alone, a very good point I might add! If an almighty God is benevolent and fair, would he not take into account a persons circumstances and hear each person prayer? (I won't even get into the responding subject at this point)

In keeping with this point alone, a very good point I might add! If an almighty God is benevolent and fair, would he not take into account a persons circumstances and hear each person prayer? (I won't even get into the responding subject at this point)
what does benevolence and fairness have to do with it?

God created those circumstances right? Why create the circumstances in a specifically finite amount (theres only so many) to merely address them separately?

God created those circumstances right? Why create the circumstances in a specifically finite amount (theres only so many) to merely address them separately?
In keeping with this point alone, a very good point I might add! If an almighty God is benevolent and fair, would he not take into account a persons circumstances and hear each person prayer? (I won't even get into the responding subject at this point)

**for the sake of a cordial discussion man, just once...I beg you??? We'll get to all that other stuff when we get there. 

well, if they have different beliefs, they're essentially praying to a different god. would you agree? if that's the case, those that believe in the "wrong" god are praying to false idols. does god acknowledge their prayers in that case?

In keeping with this point alone, a very good point I might add! If an almighty God is benevolent and fair, would he not take into account a persons circumstances and hear each person prayer? (I won't even get into the responding subject at this point)

**for the sake of a cordial discussion man, just once...I beg you??? We'll get to all that other stuff when we get there. 
?

I'm saying that I can't answer the question because I don't understand the premise. 

See if the premises are true and we agree on them, and then conclusion should also be true and we should therefore agree on the conclusion. 

However we don't agree on the question itself so we need to resolve that before we got to the conclusion, you see what I'm saying? 

Thats why I don't understand why you use the qualifier "benevolent and fair" ...what does that have to do with anything? Does that not have bearing on the question itself?

Glad your faith hymen has not been broken through. I don't really need your testimony though, it does make you seem a bit insecure. Like maybe if I tell myself this enough my faith will become more steadfast.
Speaking out against what they consider evil is part of many religious doctrines, speaking out against the evils in certain religious traditions and way of thinking is no different. Religion does not have a monopoly on morality. It is not my intent to change the faith of people who have a personal relationship with whatever the hell it is they believe in. If it helps you sleep better at night more power to you.
I love my life as well, not sure what that has to do with anything. I'm a lucky lucky man.

i affirm my belief and now i have a "faith hymen" ? :rolleyes

its like atheists needs to throw around insults with their nose in the air like your superior to affirm your opinions but you're not.

you don't need my testimony :lol: no one needs you trying to bring down their beliefs with insults, and stupid rhetoric that both persons of faith and those without it can agree simply can't be answered and it goes beyond necessarily the mathematical and logical.

call me insecure, like i need to convince myself that i believe when i have doubts, but I am not. I don't ever say much about these threads but something clicked on this thread thats all.

as for putty, its not right, and its not like i pick and choose which rules to follow to make things easier but I'm not perfect, no one is. I do as best as I can and there's always room to improve.

well, if they have different beliefs, they're essentially praying to a different god. would you agree? if that's the case, those that believe in the "wrong" god are praying to false idols. does god acknowledge their prayers in that case?
The fact that the god of the bible tells people not to worship other gods lets me know that other gods exist.

I mean...how does the omnipotent guy have to ASK you to follow him? And on top of that, why is he trying to sell you on his benefits? 

as for putty, its not right, and its not like i pick and choose which rules to follow to make things easier but I'm not perfect, no one is. I do as best as I can and there's always room to improve.
I asked you that question. But yeah....you didn't answer the question. If you really believe it, why do you not...do it?

I mean if you thought god was watching you masturbate...and I mean like IN THE ROOM with you, would you do it?

Last edited:
?

I'm saying that I can't answer the question because I don't understand the premise. 

See if the premises are true and we agree on them, and then conclusion should also be true and we should therefore agree on the conclusion. 

However we don't agree on the question itself so we need to resolve that before we got to the conclusion, you see what I'm saying? 

Thats why I don't understand why you use the qualifier "benevolent and fair" ...what does that have to do with anything? Does that not have bearing on the question itself?
I am saying that the question was answered by the person who it was intended for. But feel free to chime in, I guess.

People have different beliefs because of background, ignorance, personal reflection and understanding. Me and you give people credit for this even when we don't agree with them or share their views.

So in our scenario, would it be possible for this benevolent god to sift through 'background, ignorance, personal reflection and understanding' and hear the sincere prayers of all men?

People have different beliefs because of background, ignorance, personal reflection and understanding. Me and you give people credit for this even when we don't agree with them or share their views.

So in our scenario, would it be possible for this benevolent god to sift through 'background, ignorance, personal reflection and understanding' and hear the sincere prayers of all men?
Are you assuming theres only one god?

Because not everyone believes that. Thats the only way you could get the answer to your specific question. 

Last edited:

Because not everyone believes that. Thats the only way you could get the answer to the question you've framed in that manner. 
I would say that in a 'scenario' it is safe to assume anything, purely for the sake of compartmentalizing a discussion. Yes, I have included the assumption in my scenario that 'benevolent god' is one god...maybe we'll consider other 'gods' later on if the discussion goes that way.

Because not everyone believes that. Thats the only way you could get the answer to the question you've framed in that manner. 
I would say that in a 'scenario' it is safe to assume anything, purely for the sake of compartmentalizing a discussion. Yes, I have included the assumption in my scenario that 'benevolent god' is one god...maybe we'll consider other 'gods' later on if the discussion goes that way.
If there IS one god, then is it possible? Yes. Anything is possible when you can shift the rules and escape the limits of logic that the same god seems to hold himself to from time to time. God can do anything if you're assuming that god made them all believe different things to communicate to them all simultaneously in a rather inconsistent manner.

But the problem is that theorizing scenarios doesn't lead to the validity of reality or reasonable descriptions of it.

We don't get anywhere if we make up the rules for a situation then hold ourselves to it and then assert the answer we want to make a point, especially on something that doesn't have any original basis on which you can actually compare it to, namely whether or this deity exists. 

Last edited:
If there IS one god, then is it possible? Yes. Anything is possible when you can shift the rules and escape the limits of logic that the same god seems to hold himself to from time to time. God can do anything if you're assuming that god made them all believe different things to communicate to them all simultaneously in a rather inconsistent manner.

But the problem is that theorizing scenarios doesn't lead to the validity of reality or reasonable descriptions of it.

We don't get anywhere if we make up the rules for a situation then hold ourselves to it and then assert the answer we want to make a point, especially on something that doesn't have any original basis on which you can actually compare it to, namely whether or this deity exists. 

'

+ and maybe we'll consider whether the God in our scenario 'made them all believe different things'

Back
Top Bottom