For the NikeTalker's without kids, are you going to place your kids in a public or private school?

I'm really not sure as it would depend on the city I was living in. Not all public schools are created equal, just like not all private schools are created equal. Boston has some horrible public schools, so if I were raising my children here, I'd send them to a private school until they could take an exam school test for the 7th or 9th grade.

In retrospect, I went to a horrible private school as a child. I got great grades in the subjects I studied, but I also think a lot of the material was not comparable to what was offered in other schools (i.e., not advanced at all). What the teachers were teaching my classmates and I was insufficient, imo, for our age group and for what we were expect to know by the time we got to high school. When I got to high school, a lot of my new classmates had taken French, Spanish, Algebra, Geo, Chemistry, Physics, etc. in elementary school, and yeah, my educational background wasn't up to snuff.
laugh.gif
I caught up by sophomore year because I did some serious studying and summer courses, but the situation did make me really think about where I'd send my (future) children. I should disclaim that this was just my experience with MY private school, and that not all private schools are the same, hence my earlier comments about how not all private schools being created equal.

Of course you can learn about life in a private school, but a PS is more raw IMO.

I strongly disagree. I don't think private schools are sugar coated or vanilla in any sense. At least mine wasn't. The same stuff I heard my public school friends talking about, I saw in my school. I think it's just a kids will be kids situation, regardless of the educational setting.

I'm really not sure as it would depend on the city I was living in. Not all public schools are created equal, just like not all private schools are created equal. Boston has some horrible public schools, so if I were raising my children here, I'd send them to a private school until they could take an exam school test for the 7th or 9th grade.

In retrospect, I went to a horrible private school as a child. I got great grades in the subjects I studied, but I also think a lot of the material was not comparable to what was offered in other schools (i.e., not advanced at all). What the teachers were teaching my classmates and I was insufficient, imo, for our age group and for what we were expect to know by the time we got to high school. When I got to high school, a lot of my new classmates had taken French, Spanish, Algebra, Geo, Chemistry, Physics, etc. in elementary school, and yeah, my educational background wasn't up to snuff.
laugh.gif
I caught up by sophomore year because I did some serious studying and summer courses, but the situation did make me really think about where I'd send my (future) children. I should disclaim that this was just my experience with MY private school, and that not all private schools are the same, hence my earlier comments about how not all private schools being created equal.

Of course you can learn about life in a private school, but a PS is more raw IMO.

I strongly disagree. I don't think private schools are sugar coated or vanilla in any sense. At least mine wasn't. The same stuff I heard my public school friends talking about, I saw in my school. I think it's just a kids will be kids situation, regardless of the educational setting.

Again...what are these "life lessons" that yall are talking about? I went to both private and public....and if you got common sense, you'll get your "life lessons" in ANY academic environment.

Again...what are these "life lessons" that yall are talking about? I went to both private and public....and if you got common sense, you'll get your "life lessons" in ANY academic environment.

More kids fought in private school. When i went to public school, more kids werent paying attention. And some teachers smelled
30t6p3b.gif

More kids fought in private school. When i went to public school, more kids werent paying attention. And some teachers smelled
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by Nike Star Jay

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

That's the thing, they don't even know what life lessons they're talking about. You send your child to private because you know they'll get the best teachers, the best resources, etc. The atmosphere at a private school is serious and very well constructed. That's not to say that you can't have fun, but you don't get as many hoodlums as you would at a public "free-for-all" setting. And as someone else said, these "life lessons" (whatever they are) should be taught by the parents. It's your job to instill moral values, and mold your child for the real world, it's the school's job to educate them academically.

Im not saying private schools make saints, because we all saw the mount saint ursula girl perform like a pro
devil.gif
. But I have fam that have attended private school and by the time I learned about girls, drugs or whatever, most of those thing were still considered taboo for them. Yea parents are suppose to teach us good values but we picked up everything we know from school. So no one here can tell me mom and pops taught us about sex before we knew what a vagina looked like. Stuff like that was more raw for us public school kids, we either learned it first hand or it happened at the school. Plus most of the private school kids I know come off as snubs sometimes.

So again Im not talking in terms of academics, because I know of tons of kids who graduated from public schools in The Bronx and got scholarships to elite universities. 

and real talk, some of guys sound like you got bullied in school or something, "hoodlums"?
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Nike Star Jay

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

That's the thing, they don't even know what life lessons they're talking about. You send your child to private because you know they'll get the best teachers, the best resources, etc. The atmosphere at a private school is serious and very well constructed. That's not to say that you can't have fun, but you don't get as many hoodlums as you would at a public "free-for-all" setting. And as someone else said, these "life lessons" (whatever they are) should be taught by the parents. It's your job to instill moral values, and mold your child for the real world, it's the school's job to educate them academically.

Im not saying private schools make saints, because we all saw the mount saint ursula girl perform like a pro
devil.gif
. But I have fam that have attended private school and by the time I learned about girls, drugs or whatever, most of those thing were still considered taboo for them. Yea parents are suppose to teach us good values but we picked up everything we know from school. So no one here can tell me mom and pops taught us about sex before we knew what a vagina looked like. Stuff like that was more raw for us public school kids, we either learned it first hand or it happened at the school. Plus most of the private school kids I know come off as snubs sometimes.

So again Im not talking in terms of academics, because I know of tons of kids who graduated from public schools in The Bronx and got scholarships to elite universities. 

and real talk, some of guys sound like you got bullied in school or something, "hoodlums"?
grin.gif

I would start them off in private then send them to public as they reach fourth or fifth grade
a lot of my friends went this route but they didn't leave private school until after eighth grade

I would start them off in private then send them to public as they reach fourth or fifth grade
a lot of my friends went this route but they didn't leave private school until after eighth grade

if my kid needs the attention and focus that a lower teacher student ratio in private schools have, then yes. but if he learns like me than public all the way

Back
Top Bottom