non-blacks, what are your opinions on tyler perry and his movies?

Originally Posted by ekon one

I think Dave Chappelle did more to hurt the Black community then Tyler Perry ever can or will

Naw! We knew it wasn't "real" on Chappelle's Show... 

I think Dave Chappelle did more to hurt the Black community then Tyler Perry ever can or will

Originally Posted by raptors29

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

what kind of excuse is that though please explain 

notsureifsrs
The Mad Real World, Tyrone Biggums, and so much more ****ery and buffoonery on his part during that series. 

Bruh, Dave left the show BECAUSE he realized what he was doing. Pretty much a real life Bamboozled. Spike Lee can take that to the bank

notsureifsrs
The Mad Real World, Tyrone Biggums, and so much more ****ery and buffoonery on his part during that series. 

Bruh, Dave left the show BECAUSE he realized what he was doing. Pretty much a real life Bamboozled. Spike Lee can take that to the bank

notsureifsrs

add to that list
the N!##@! Family

The Racial Draft

The Reparations skit

World Series Of Dice

and the Mad Real World skit was overflowing with stereotypes 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

and why do cats keep coming in here saying dude is taking advantage of his audience 

like they saw his movies against there will many directors find there niche and stick with it

Wes Craven -for horror fans

Micheal Bay - something is blowing up in his movies

Micheal Moore - Politics 

and so on dude cant be exempt just because many (not all directors do the same thing when they find their main audience 

notsureifsrs

add to that list
the N!##@! Family

The Racial Draft

The Reparations skit

World Series Of Dice

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

and why do cats keep coming in here saying dude is taking advantage of his audience 

like they saw his movies against there will many directors find there niche and stick with it

Micheal Moore - Politics 

and so on dude cant be exempt just because many (not all directors do the same thing when they find their main audience 

Originally Posted by blackmagnus514

i'm black but I'll comment. 

I strongly dislike this guy. He's a minstrel and a +%@#. He talks about his movies are spiritually uplifting, ignoring the fact that in the Bible it says that a man shouldnt wear anything meant for a woman to wear because it's an abomination (not the exact wording but the semantics are there). He's a hack. Cliche. He knows his audience and i cant fault him for that, but he's trash.

His legacy will be that of Madea

tumblr_lijbs9l94D1qa00qco1_400.jpg

Gimme a break. This guy is a joke. And has the nerve to talk abut Spike? At least Spike has classics.
This can't be for real.  Georgia Shore?  This CAN NOT BE REAL LIFE...

Originally Posted by blackmagnus514

i'm black but I'll comment. 

I strongly dislike this guy. He's a minstrel and a +%@#. He talks about his movies are spiritually uplifting, ignoring the fact that in the Bible it says that a man shouldnt wear anything meant for a woman to wear because it's an abomination (not the exact wording but the semantics are there). He's a hack. Cliche. He knows his audience and i cant fault him for that, but he's trash.

His legacy will be that of Madea

tumblr_lijbs9l94D1qa00qco1_400.jpg

Gimme a break. This guy is a joke. And has the nerve to talk abut Spike? At least Spike has classics.
This can't be for real.  Georgia Shore?  This CAN NOT BE REAL LIFE...

Don't feel like reading through right now...but yeah.

To me...he's the black Roger Corman, isn't he? I mean that's what I hope he is. The myth of the garbage he makes is bigger than it should be. I mean, he and his work are a punchline to me just to same. '****ery buffoonery,' my Knick fan already spoke this.

On the other side of it, he's succeeding in a way I haven't seen a black filmmaker or writer in my generation. My hopes are that he keeps black actors employed and the cream rises to the top and the success opens dumb doors for smarter filmmakers and writers than him. My sister be onto his garbage, but I just...I seen a couple and I'm allergic to how dumb it is. People just get mad, because he's black.

Annoying and bad is as annoying and bad does, but when it's easy to pick him out of a crowd, it's an easy target...especially when he's the only one doing it.

Cliffs: His stuff is dumb as %!%+, but if it opens doors, so be it.

Don't feel like reading through right now...but yeah.

To me...he's the black Roger Corman, isn't he? I mean that's what I hope he is. The myth of the garbage he makes is bigger than it should be. I mean, he and his work are a punchline to me just to same. '****ery buffoonery,' my Knick fan already spoke this.

On the other side of it, he's succeeding in a way I haven't seen a black filmmaker or writer in my generation. My hopes are that he keeps black actors employed and the cream rises to the top and the success opens dumb doors for smarter filmmakers and writers than him. My sister be onto his garbage, but I just...I seen a couple and I'm allergic to how dumb it is. People just get mad, because he's black.

Annoying and bad is as annoying and bad does, but when it's easy to pick him out of a crowd, it's an easy target...especially when he's the only one doing it.

Cliffs: His stuff is dumb as %!%+, but if it opens doors, so be it.

Originally Posted by AusZero

I'm white and have never seen one of his movies. I think that is the case for most white people. However I feel his trailers and ads are everywhere. Those give you a 30 second snippet of his work which stereotypes and and makes African Americans seem stupid. His movies might have a poignant message but that's not revealed in a television ad during prime time television. Whites mAy not be his target demographic and they will probably never be exposed to a full film but the small portion they are exposed to enforces a negative stereotype. I'm sure he is employing a few people but at the cost of the majority.

As fOr the comparison to wshh I think that's an unfair one as 99% of white people would never visit a site like that. Their content maybe ten times as damaging but their exposure into white culture is minuscule compared to Tyler perrys.

Exactly tp movies/snippets and previews appear on a grander audience then a wshh. I mean outside of ppl who are deep into web blogs/hip hop you'd be hard pressed to find ppl, especially of other races who have even heard of wshh. But with tp his commercials appear on mainstream tv shows, and on well known media outlets.

Him doing parodies/stereotypes isnt the problem. Its the fact that he has limited his talents to ONLY making films of this nature. It be like if stephen kings body of work was all based on or similiar to The Shawshank Redemption . In his earlier works, mainly live plays, he had a diverse subject matter. And his plays sold out nationwide and did very well. It was once he created the Madea playscreen, and it exceeded far more then any of his previous works, he decided to ride it out to the wheels falls off.

As far as his plays and how they affect the community, especially relationships within the black community it is prevelant. I wont get into details of how it has. But visit a southern church, preferable one with middle to upperclass blacks. Or an area predominately mid/upper black woman. You will see it fairly easy.

Originally Posted by AusZero

I'm white and have never seen one of his movies. I think that is the case for most white people. However I feel his trailers and ads are everywhere. Those give you a 30 second snippet of his work which stereotypes and and makes African Americans seem stupid. His movies might have a poignant message but that's not revealed in a television ad during prime time television. Whites mAy not be his target demographic and they will probably never be exposed to a full film but the small portion they are exposed to enforces a negative stereotype. I'm sure he is employing a few people but at the cost of the majority.

As fOr the comparison to wshh I think that's an unfair one as 99% of white people would never visit a site like that. Their content maybe ten times as damaging but their exposure into white culture is minuscule compared to Tyler perrys.

Exactly tp movies/snippets and previews appear on a grander audience then a wshh. I mean outside of ppl who are deep into web blogs/hip hop you'd be hard pressed to find ppl, especially of other races who have even heard of wshh. But with tp his commercials appear on mainstream tv shows, and on well known media outlets.

Him doing parodies/stereotypes isnt the problem. Its the fact that he has limited his talents to ONLY making films of this nature. It be like if stephen kings body of work was all based on or similiar to The Shawshank Redemption . In his earlier works, mainly live plays, he had a diverse subject matter. And his plays sold out nationwide and did very well. It was once he created the Madea playscreen, and it exceeded far more then any of his previous works, he decided to ride it out to the wheels falls off.

As far as his plays and how they affect the community, especially relationships within the black community it is prevelant. I wont get into details of how it has. But visit a southern church, preferable one with middle to upperclass blacks. Or an area predominately mid/upper black woman. You will see it fairly easy.

I'm part black but I have a few other races in me...and uhm...I get Tyler Perry but its time for us to move on from this stage man. I feel like he successfully pigeon holds black people.

I'm part black but I have a few other races in me...and uhm...I get Tyler Perry but its time for us to move on from this stage man. I feel like he successfully pigeon holds black people.

never seen any of his flicks but i get the whole stereotypical vibe just by looking at the cover of the dvds, and never seen a commercial for any of his movies

never seen any of his flicks but i get the whole stereotypical vibe just by looking at the cover of the dvds, and never seen a commercial for any of his movies

Originally Posted by Mrsouthernhospitality

notsureifsrs

add to that list
the N!##@! Family

The Racial Draft

The Reparations skit

World Series Of Dice

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Micheal Moore - Politics 

Not saying that Dave didn't have nothing to do with it, but how do you think comedy is portrayed. All races, especially African Americans attack the stereotypes that everybody see on a daily basis. Yes, it's comedy, but we are attacking ourselves. So Tyler Perry is just feeding the system, BTW i hate Perry. 

Originally Posted by Mrsouthernhospitality

notsureifsrs

add to that list
the N!##@! Family

The Racial Draft

The Reparations skit

World Series Of Dice

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Micheal Moore - Politics 

Not saying that Dave didn't have nothing to do with it, but how do you think comedy is portrayed. All races, especially African Americans attack the stereotypes that everybody see on a daily basis. Yes, it's comedy, but we are attacking ourselves. So Tyler Perry is just feeding the system, BTW i hate Perry. 

Back
Top Bottom