So jordan brand is going back to limted releases again starting may 2018!

Isnt basketball as whole kind of struggling right now? At least when it comes to shoes or clothing, that section is just having a down period and since Jordan is almost exclusively a basketball brand it would probably feel the effects the worst of all. I'm sure this isn't the first time this has happened and it probably won't be the last

tonytabacco said in another thread, go to an email address, preorder and be done. Why can it not be that way?
If this happens than you can kiss physical boutiques goodbye, and chain stores would probably cut their locations in half

If this happens than you can kiss physical boutiques goodbye, and chain stores would probably cut their locations in half

This is already starting to happen, once amazon deal starts hitting I can see footlocker,footaction, champs, eastbay, and HOH downsizing. I've never understood why the same company needs so many different stores under the same umbrella, all that space they lease in shopping malls could be used to just create one big mega sports store. All arguments aside this has been one of the better threads in a long time, alot of ideas bouncing around in here...do we think JB is listening?.? Do they even care about niketalk?

This is already starting to happen, once amazon deal starts hitting I can see footlocker,footaction, champs, eastbay, and HOH downsizing. I've never understood why the same company needs so many different stores under the same umbrella, all that space they lease in shopping malls could be used to just create one big mega sports store. All arguments aside this has been one of the better threads in a long time, alot of ideas bouncing around in here...do we think JB is listening?.? Do they even care about niketalk?
I agree but I've always assumed that Footlocker Inc. purchased those stores a while back, like Champs for example, and just added them under the umbrella. I remember a long time ago they tried to buy Finish Line but it was rejected, and as far as HOH, I just figured their were trying to cash in on the boutique wave and appear cooler, since their was a time were people preferred those than shopping at malls.

These stores could also apply a Warby Parker approach where you SEE the models on shelves, can get appropriately sized, and can buy a pair in store but it is mailed out to you. This cuts down on real estate costs as there are pretty much no stock rooms but customers have the advantage of still seeing the pairs available.

Ironically, I think the pilot retail Amazon stores used this same approach.

Isnt basketball as whole kind of struggling right now? At least when it comes to shoes or clothing, that section is just having a down period and since Jordan is almost exclusively a basketball brand it would probably feel the effects the worst of all. I'm sure this isn't the first time this has happened and it probably won't be the last

I think part of this is oversaturation with too many signature players. Kobe is going on his 2nd year being retired and his line keeps releasing performance basketball shoes. Meanwhile, Nike Basketball is also pushing LeBron, PG, KD, and Kyrie's respective lines as well... There are simply too many options, and this doesn't even include JB. Not only that but Adidas, UA, and other smaller brands (ANTA, etc.) have actually signed other major basketball players and given Nike Basketball legitimate competition for the first time in many years. It's crazy to me that we live in a time where a player like Delly has a signature shoe (yet, for some unknown reason, John Wall currently doesn't).

It doesn't take a genius to understand releasing a Jordan every week in some whack colorway in unlimited #s at $190 or more is eventually going to turn off consumers and make the brand less desirable and slowly irrelevant. Seems like JB were hiring community college dropouts to make the decisions for them and guess when quarterly profits fell 24% did it finally dawn on them their business plan wasn't working.

The thing they need to do is cut the # of releases. Because they release a Jordan basically every week they've conditioned the consumer to have ADD where I don't have a clue what's releasing next week and I've already forgotten what's released this weekend. And even if I did want something releasing the upcoming week I know I don't have to pay full price since they'll be deeply discounted shortly. The fact they've turned Jordans to something so hyped and desirable to a overproduced discount shoe in a few short years is pretty unbelievable. I remember in the early 2000s were retros were released like once a month and not everything sold out immediately. You could still get pairs a couple of weeks or more after the fact and some of the desirable colorways later on ended up in outlets ie the oreos, mochas, laneys. While I don't expect them to go back to the days of the early 2000s it would do them considerable benefit to reduce the # of releases. This would also keep the JB brand relevant for longer since do they really think having 100+ different colorways of each retro with most of them being atrocious doing any sort of a positive service to brand?

I think part of this is oversaturation with too many signature players. Kobe is going on his 2nd year being retired and his line keeps releasing performance basketball shoes. Meanwhile, Nike Basketball is also pushing LeBron, PG, KD, and Kyrie's respective lines as well... There are simply too many options, and this doesn't even include JB. Not only that but Adidas, UA, and other smaller brands (ANTA, etc.) have actually signed other major basketball players and given Nike Basketball legitimate competition for the first time in many years. It's crazy to me that we live in a time where a player like Delly has a signature shoe (yet, for some unknown reason, John Wall currently doesn't).

Well John Wall is taking the Kobe approach as a sneaker free agent I believe, Nike will grab him eventually I'm sure. But too your main point those other brands you mentioned (UA, Adidas) are also struggling in terms of basketball. Unless I'm mistaken the main thing driving the three stripes success right now are runners and lifestyle shoes, I've never heard of Harden or Dame doing serious numbers in that market. While Under Armours struggles are well documented as well. It just feels like general consumers aren't into basketball as whole as much as they used too. I doubt this is permanent though.

Well John Wall is taking the Kobe approach as a sneaker free agent I believe, Nike will grab him eventually I'm sure. But too your main point those other brands you mentioned (UA, Adidas) are also struggling in terms of basketball. Unless I'm mistaken the main thing driving the three stripes success right now are runners and lifestyle shoes, I've never heard of Harden or Dame doing serious numbers in that market. While Under Armours struggles are well documented as well. It just feels like general consumers aren't into basketball as whole as much as they used too. I doubt this is permanent though.

It's interesting because basketball is actually currently one of, if not the fastest growing sport.

It doesn't take a genius to understand releasing a Jordan every week in some whack colorway in unlimited #s at $190 or more is eventually going to turn off consumers and make the brand less desirable and slowly irrelevant. Seems like JB were hiring community college dropouts to make the decisions for them and guess when quarterly profits fell 24% did it finally dawn on them their business plan wasn't working.

The thing they need to do is cut the # of releases. Because they release a Jordan basically every week they've conditioned the consumer to have ADD where I don't have a clue what's releasing next week and I've already forgotten what's released this weekend. And even if I did want something releasing the upcoming week I know I don't have to pay full price since they'll be deeply discounted shortly. The fact they've turned Jordans to something so hyped and desirable to a overproduced discount shoe in a few short years is pretty unbelievable. I remember in the early 2000s were retros were released like once a month and not everything sold out immediately. You could still get pairs a couple of weeks or more after the fact and some of the desirable colorways later on ended up in outlets ie the oreos, mochas, laneys. While I don't expect them to go back to the days of the early 2000s it would do them considerable benefit to reduce the # of releases. This would also keep the JB brand relevant for longer since do they really think having 100+ different colorways of each retro with most of them being atrocious doing any sort of a positive service to brand?

Well said and you can also add consumer fatigue/burnout to all this.

You get cats accumulating 100+ pairs of shoes in a span of 2-3 years and they eventually will get tired of it. You also run out of physical space and to top it off, the same 'ish gets re-issued a helluva lot quicker than in years past.

Ironically this entire sneakerhead craze/sneaker fad started right around the time Nike/JB were seriously churning out some low quality garbage. I guess social media and sheep mentality makes people do strange things. Nevertheless, say you bought a 'plastic' JB retro in '13 now the same joint's back out with 'better' (I use this word loosely) materials for almost the same price (assuming you didn't pay reseller prices). How do you feel? Do you rush out to buy the same shoe because it has tumbled vinyl and Nike Air on it or do you not give a damn?

It's interesting because basketball is actually currently one of, if not the fastest growing sport.

I would assume Soccer may have the top spot, but I read something recently that said Americans, specifically people below the age of 35, are actually not watching sports as much as they used too as a whole. Now I'm not sure if numbers are down because they cant track all the ways we view things now (cellphones, Tablets, Streams) or are people just not interested anymore. With all the things going down in the world today I do find myself bored at times with athletics.

Well said and you can also add consumer fatigue/burnout to all this.

You get cats accumulating 100+ pairs of shoes in a span of 2-3 years and they eventually will get tired of it. You also run out of physical space and to top it off, the same 'ish gets re-issued a helluva lot quicker than in years past.

Ironically this entire sneakerhead craze/sneaker fad started right around the time Nike/JB were seriously churning out some low quality garbage. I guess social media and sheep mentality makes people do strange things. Nevertheless, say you bought a 'plastic' JB retro in '13 now the same joint's back out with 'better' (I use this word loosely) materials for almost the same price (assuming you didn't pay reseller prices). How do you feel? Do you rush out to buy the same shoe because it has tumbled vinyl and Nike Air on it or do you not give a damn?

Yeah I mean I also think there is lack of consistency to retros that re-release. For example, 2016 Space Jam 11s were so much better quality than 2009 Space Jam 11s. However, 2016 TB 3s had NA branding but the quality wasn't significantly better than 2011 TBs (and the $220 retail price for the 2016 TB 3s was much higher). In both of these two 2016 releases, there wasn't consistency in terms of quality, even at higher retail price points.

^^
They will in all likelihood raise prices, drop quantity and churn out more higher profit margin Jumpan branded junk (fusions, mesh upper/foam cushioned generic runners and trainers).

Already started by putting Flyknit materials on the retro product so that production costs can be reduced (AJ 1).

at this point i hope the hype for GR shoes next year will still have the same demand as it currently is right now if they cut back on production
let the shoes sit

what nike/jordan brand has to do to bring the prestige of the shoes back is to stop releasing retros every weekend and releasing 2 retros on the same date
i think 2 to 3 retros released a month would bring people back if they release the right colorways

i dont even try for limited shoes anymore because thats the only jordans where the demand is high like a few years ago
i know resell wise thats where the real money is right now with jays but i don't have the patience to camp or lineup for shoes anymore and i really never did
thats not to say i still would not wait for a few hours

^^
They will in all likelihood raise prices, drop quantity and churn out more higher profit margin Jumpan branded junk (fusions, mesh upper/foam cushioned generic runners and trainers).

Already started by putting Flyknit materials on the retro product so that production costs can be reduced (AJ 1).

Yeah but, like it or not, JB still has to maintain it’s “cool” factor. Shoes like Fusions and generic Jumpman-branded sneakers do not help with that.

Yeah but, like it or not, JB still has to maintain it’s “cool” factor. Shoes like Fusions and generic Jumpman-branded sneakers do not help with that.

They are a business my dude and the first rule is to make a profit. They CANNOT willingly let their shareholders know that they are OK with making less money. You can forecast slower growth (and take a hit on share price) but blatantly cutting product to maintain a 'cool' factor is a huge no-no.

I despise the Fusion and generic stuff as much as you do but the general population loves them and it's important for the bottom line. As a brand you'd much rather have the general public wearing Nike/JB generic fodder than UA, Adidas, etc...

Product sitting is normal though. Shoes selling out the same day is the anomaly here. :lol:

I’m not sure why you’re not getting this...

“but blatantly cutting product to maintain a 'cool' factor is a huge no-no.”

Yet Nike cuts stock all the time for certain releases (I.e. 2016 Banned 1s, 2016 BT 1s, 2017 Royal 1s). In fact, it’s been a recent occurrence (since 2015) that stock has far outweighed demand for GR retro releases.

After copping almost all the og 1s past few years I could care less about any of it. When a remastered concord or black n red 11 drops I'll be ready.

Back
Top Bottom