This is the OFFICIAL Dallas Cowboys "Offseason" Thread

I don't like that trade for Fasano and Akin but I understand. I liked Fasano, but oh well. At least we moved up 26 spots in the 4th round.

Oh, Jerry, puuhhhllleeaaassseee don't go crazy with trading either of our picks unless we're getting Boldin, Chad, or Williams. Thanks.

Edit: Could someone send me a Cowboys sig? I guess it didn't make the move with me to yuku
ohwell.gif

Step ya game up cuz us G men are world champs hahaha and that's no Romo. NYC Over texas any and everyday

anybody else watching the war room web cam on dallascowboys.com
nerd.gif

Edit: Could someone send me a Cowboys sig? I guess it didn't make the move with me to yuku
ohwell.gif

just copy one and paste it in the signature box

Didn't see the draft so I had to check online. Couldn't be happier! we got our complimentary speed back and
one of the top rated CB's. Already our secondary and special teams are way better than last season. Plus we got Pac too.

Just need to pick up a prospective Wr and Qb in the later rounds and I'd be content.

Haven't heard too much about the TE except that he's a decent blocker, that's fine by me because that was all Fasano was anyway.
Plus we got our fourth back and cleared space trading away fasano and Akin.

I'm excited, can't wait for the season to start.

Last not: Missing the draft because of work FTL!
smh.gif

Our first round was as about as perfect as possible.

On the other hand, I really, really dislike the Bennett pick.

Fasano wasn't on the field a lot as it is. Besides that, I'd much rather have my backup tight end being strictly a blocker. Also, nobody's reallymade me feel any better with their scouting report on Bennett.

We traded away Fasano (and Ayodele) for a fourth round pick, and then we use a second on his replacement? No thanks.

Reggie Smith have would been the more suitable pick there to me. Keep shoring up the secondary until it's a POSITIVE aspect of this team.

I mean, I understand we can start utilizing two tight end sets, but it's just not that important. If they really thought it was that important, address ittoday, not with a second round pick.

Martellus is a red zone weapon... Just watch. Kid reminds me of Antonio Gates... He needs some work and polish, but he'll be more capable of helping thisteam spread the field and move than ball than any of the available receivers would have at point.

And he's a good blocker, regardless or what dudes in the draft thread are telling you. I've watched dude for 3 years, and he's definitely more thancapable in that aspect of his game...

McCord said top pick Felix Jones will be wearing No. 28, the number vacated by Tyson Thompson. At Arkansas, Jones wore No. 25, which is used by safety Pat Watkins.

Cornerback Mike Jenkins will wear the No. 31 recently worn by safety Roy Williams, who is moving to 38. And tight end Martellus Bennett will wear No. 80.
Cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones is expected to wear No. 21 in honor of his friend Deion Sanders. Jones wore No. 32 in his two seasons with the Titans
.hopefully that # isn't tainted, I've seen enough of that #31 getting burnt
laugh.gif
tired.gif

B+ IMO

Ok i know that I'm riding solo on this, but i was kinda heated when we didn't snag Desean Jackson(i know i know, he's only 190 soaking wet) buthell even if we would've drafted him strictly for special teams and 4WR packages that would've been fine with me.Drafting him to take over the KRduties, and/or be that WR to stretch the field(if TG isn't healthy) would've been the perfect fit.

And what makes it even worst is that Phili got him
mad.gif

I'm curious to hear everybody's opinions on the Cowboys draft as a whole.
IMO with the way we stocked up on OL last year ,and Bill being all about LB's and DLmen our most glaring weakness was the secondary.

With the latest draft and Pac signing its about to be a battle royale at the CB position. That means the best of our bunch will make it through.
I'm also starting to think maybe Henry gets back to a safety spot. When he's healthy he's a pretty good ball hawk, and playing centerfield should
maximize his chances. It could also just be insurance because of his and Newman's history.

With the running backs, now we have a young stable. And if Barber does leave next year
frown.gif
,Choice and Felix look pretty capable.

I would have liked a prospective Qb and wideout but can't have em all you know. Overall "C" but when you factor in that we shored up needs andare trying to win now "B".

Originally Posted by Berkeley Boy

Originally Posted by jmause3

Dallas offered MB3 a $30 million contract and he turned it down. Reports are he's looking in the range of a $40-$60 million contract

He deserves it. Give that boy like $20 mill guaranteed.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

heres my thinking....wade got his chance to do exactly what he did in san diego. get good corners, and blitz the HELL out of people everyplay. now if pacman isgood, newman and him with jenkins and henry...u can put roy in the box and just blitz like a madmen and put the DBs out on their islands alone. if not, roysgot to go. but i like stacking the DB position because it was obvious reeves didnt know how to play football.

i really hope felix is good. cus when the boys passed on stephen jackson for JJ i was blown until i saw the stats on JJ @ ND. apparently felix is fast. we willsee tho. and choice is the poor mans barber.

as far as the rest goes, it doesnt matter. the TE is athletic but a permnanent backup. the pass rushing DE is slow, but they got a decent line neway. the keyis if the DBs can check ANYTHING this year. (ROY/REEVES/THE OTHER GUY WHOS NAME I FORGOT CUS HE WAS THAT BAD AT LIFE?)

I was one of those who was bent out of shape at first with the felix over mend pick but now as long as we keep barber we will be fine ... we went into thedraft with two OBVIOUS needs and we filled those needs with 1st round draft picks, who else can really say that?

Do not sleep on the CB from Boise as he dropped cuz hes a knucklehead ... Do not sleep on Bennet either, he is 6'6 and a basketball player ... We picked upWes Welkers clone and dude who caught a weak rape charge back in the day as undrafted free agents ... I really think both can help us (hate if you want) ...Choice was an insurance pick and everyone else can be special teamers ... And everyone saying we didnt draft that well and we had the worst draft in the NFCeast might forget that we traded a 4th rd pick away for Pacman Jones so essentially he has to be added to the equation as far as this years draft goes ... Ifhe plays we essentially had the 6th, 22nd, and 25th picks in the draft talent wise ... not bad

Bottom line, we are in a position to really contend now because our secondary has improved DRAMATICALLY ... Im assuming Pacman will be reinstated ... We haveNewman, Jones, Henry, Jenkins, Roy, Hamlin and Watkins in rotation with the youngins getting clock if needed ... That is STRONG ... Move Henry to FS on passingdowns and we still have Newman Pacman and Jenkins as our 3 corners ... nobody in the league is really messing with that lineup ... and just for thread purposesill post who we picked in the draft and some of the undrafteds we scooped up ...

NFL Team: Dallas Cowboys 2008 Picks

Pick #22 Felix Jones RB ARKANSAS

Jerry Jones may not have gotten Darren McFadden, but he did get an Arkansas running back. Felix Jones is not a power back who is going to consistently push thepile in short-yardage situations, and the fact that he shared carries with McFadden in college and lacks elite size raise concerns about his ability to carry aheavy workload. However, he is a big play waiting to happen; he's quick around the corner, shifty enough to make the first defender miss and turns on thejets in the open field.

Pick #25 Mike Jenkins CB SOUTH FLORIDA
Jenkins doesn't have a great deal of upper-body strength and struggles to reroute receivers at the line of scrimmage. You'd also like to see himcapitalize on more opportunities to make big plays. That said, he has the potential to develop excellent man-to-man cover skills because he opens his hips welland is a quick, fast athlete. There's also a lot to like about his versatility; he can line up at safety and can make an impact as a kick returner.

Pick #61 Martellus Bennett TE TEXAS A&M
Bennett isn't an elite run-blocker and doesnt have great top-end speed. However, he's a great value. Watching him on film and knowing that he playedcollege basketball for two seasons, it's hard not to compare him to San Diego tight end Antonio Gates. Much like Gates, Bennett knows how to use his sizeto box defenders out and he can make tough catches in traffic. Taking the comparison even further, Bennett is versatile enough to flex out wide as Gates doesin the Chargers' offense.

Pick #122 Tashard Choice RB GEORGIA TECH
Choice doesn't have breakaway speed and will put the ball on the ground, but he reads his blocks well and is a north-south runner who falls forward. He isthe second running back the Cowboys have drafted and will provide depth. Also, there may be concern about getting Marion Barber signed long term.

Pick #143 Orlando Scandrick CB BOISE STATE
Scandrick probably would've been better off returning for his senior year so he could work on his footwork and add some weight to his frame. On the otherhand, he's fast enough to run with receivers downfield and opens his hips quickly. He also has shown a knack for blocking kicks and can make an impact inthe return game.

Pick #167 Erik Walden DE MIDDLE TENNESSEE STATE
Walden excels at getting to the quarterback and has experience lining up at linebacker and end. This is the second pick in a row in which we feel Dallas hasreached; Walden isn't big enough to hold his ground at defensive end position and his speed will make it difficult for him to be effective in coverage as a3-4 outside linebacker.

Undrafted

Danny Amendola WR Texas Tech
Marcus Dixon DE Hampton

Here's a small snippet of an article I thought was good in explaining why the Cowboys drafted Martellus Bennett in round 3:

Martellus Bennett was initially a head-scratcher. Why would the Cowboys draft a tight end just one day after trading one away? But if you wait until the draft was over to judge the pick, you see that the Cowboys didn't draft a FB. The Cowboys last year used the tight end a lot as a blocker but since Fasano never developed his blocking ability Jason Witten too often was called upon to block. This took one of the Cowboys best weapons right out of the game. The Cowboys love to use the tight end as a wham blocker out of the fullback position as well as helping out in pass protection. If Bennett can come in and do a better job of that than Fasano, then Witten's job just got a whole lot easier.

It makes sense after reading that seeing as how Bennett has at least average capabilities when it comes to blocking and is 6'7", can run, jump, andcatch. Dude has all the physical tools to be a beast in the receiving game, he just has to put it all together.

Here's a list of all of the players attending this weekend's mini-camp:

Draft Picks:
RB Felix Jones - Arkansas
CB Mike Jenkins - South Florida
TE Martellus Bennett - Texas A&M
RB Tashard Choice - Georgia Tech
CB Orlando Scandrick - Boise State
OLB Erik Walden - Middle Tenn. State

Rookie Free Agents:
WR Danny Amendola - Texas Tech
TE Drew Atchison - William & Mary
WR Mark Bradford - Stanford