Why do African Americans continue to practice Christianity if it was forced upon them during slavery

lol people downplay it, but open atheism carries a risk in many circles and in many parts of the country. Some may find it laughable but discrimination against the non-religious exists. But across the board, on the internet and out in the open people are starting to reject religion and God.
Just like the Bible says.

OP,
concerning your question, perhaps those who choose Christianity believe it to be the truth.

Slavery is/was a tragedy. Those who preached christianity and also kept slaves were wrong, and hippocrites. God, Jesus, never said slavery was correct. Jesus actually spoke of everyone serving everyone else. To have a servants heart. Jesus washed his disciples feet. He loved everyone, the dark and light skinned, poor and rich. Never any favoritisim.

For God so loved the world....
The world my friend, and everyone in it.

Just like the Bible says.

OP,
concerning your question, perhaps those who choose Christianity believe it to be the truth.

Slavery is/was a tragedy. Those who preached christianity and also kept slaves were wrong, and hippocrites. God, Jesus, never said slavery was correct. Jesus actually spoke of everyone serving everyone else. To have a servants heart. Jesus washed his disciples feet. He loved everyone, the dark and light skinned, poor and rich. Never any favoritisim.

For God so loved the world....
The world my friend, and everyone in it.

Yeah Jesus may have been a servant but there are other parts of the bible that "supported" slavery.

When I was Christian if it wasn't red I didn't read it :lol:

The Reason Clayton County, Marietta, Decatur and Stone Mountain became what they did is when they tore down all the projects in 96. Everyone was forced to move outward, in turn the whites moved further out. Now if you look at it what they did to East Atlanta for example, blacks could have gone back in the early 2000s and bought up the land but blacks had that "man I aint moving there thats the hood" and white folks began and are buying up all of our prime old hoods close to the city while blacks are stuck out in Lithonia not developing anything far away from the booming industries.

sounds like Leimert Park, except black people were living there, just not owning where they live. Idk why we don't understand the value in owning property. I honestly , truly , DO NOT get it. I mean there are people that will literally argue as to why renting is better than owning.

exact same thing happening in DC. Black folks been LIVING there forever, but won't BUY. Now, you can't buy if you WANT to, too expensive etc.

Yeah Jesus may have been a servant but there are other parts of the bible that "supported" slavery.

^^ the light bulb came on for me when I realized how LITTLE was in red. I'm like "wait.... we ain't Christians; we really Paulsians"

Reactions: wr
lol@segregation being to the key to prosperity and blaming desegregation for the failures of the black community....

the koreans, jews, etc community didn't go downhill after the civil rights era...

lucky = black people need to be forced to work with each other, they can't be successful on their own accord

View media item 905479
....no relation

lol@segregation being to the key to prosperity and blaming desegregation for the failures of the black community....

the koreans, jews, etc community didn't go downhill after the civil rights era...

lucky = black people need to be forced to work with each other, they can't be successful on their own accord

View media item 905479
....no relation

You're an idiot, and clearly you don't know who uncle ruckus is if you would even think uncle ruckus would want blacks to work together and build prominent black communities. Dudes trolling so hard they just posting random pop culture images now. You are internally everything uncle ruckus embodies and you don't even know it, this is how screwed the black community is.

What do you mean by "supported" slavery?

That is false and someone is either telling you lies or they didnt understand the context. Jesus, God, is not an advocate of slavery.

View media item 905479
....no relation

You're an idiot, and clearly you don't know who uncle ruckus is if you would even think uncle ruckus would want blacks to work together and build prominent black communities. Dudes trolling so hard they just posting random pop culture images now. You are internally everything uncle ruckus embodies and you don't even know it, this is how screwed the black community is.

ruckus would agree that the darkies need to be segregated for their own well being...

which is essentially what you are saying.... im sure fox news would love to interview a black male such as yourself to exploit your viewpoint..

you probably wish you could travel back in time so you could prevent the civil rights movement from destroying the black community.

Last edited:
ruckus would agree that the darkies need to be segregated for their own well being...

which is essentially what you are saying.... im sure fox news would love to interview a black male such as yourself to exploit your viewpoint..

you probably wish you could travel back in time so you could prevent the civil rights movement from destroying the black community.

Lol you're an idiot bruh it's obvious this entire convo is over your head. Lol blacks went from being Uncle toms to Doctor Tom and think they made it and all is good in the world.

Yeah Paul is doing a lot of talking and most would believe giving his opinion and explaining his own walk.

Lol blacks went from being Uncle toms to Doctor Tom and think they made it and all is good in the world.

Your whole viewpoint in this thread is based on subjective anger and disappointment rather than objective logic and reason...

That is why only those who "feel" the same can agree with you rather than those who hold similar ideals but aren't as blinded by emotional opinion that don't serve any true purpose.

What you wrote above doesn't even relate to me, rather is a personal grudge you probably hold against certain members of the black community and you are expressing it solely because it angers you not because its actually a useful point of discussion in this exchange

Last edited:

That is false and someone is either telling you lies or they didnt understand the context. Jesus, God, is not an advocate of slavery.

I'm not into this debate stuff but there are many verses that can be interpreted to support slavery while there are many verses speaking against treating someone inhumane. And there is toss up on if the word slave would be interpreted as an employee these days.

Either way the verses are there.....

yes and no... old testament suggest a man that sees another man as common livestock to be traded bought and sold shall be punished and put to death... paraphrasing not the exact words verbatim...

new testament....it says if you buy a Hebrew slave he shall go work unpaid 6 days so long as he is treated as a free man on the Sabbath...

it also says if a master strikes his slave with a rod it goes unpunished so long as he does not die at his hands..

it also says that a slave shall honor and respect thy master for he is an reflection and extension of god... and to master he shall rule and govern over slaves as such...

so you can take it with a grain of salt... and obviously whites took the latter... and obviously the worship and view your master as an extension of god is what black folks in general at large took it as..

now content/context aside... you can try to play "god" and try to spin those words anyway you like but clearly... at one point...so called god condemned it, another point in time it was acceptable so long as you treated them with respect, didn't beat them literally to death, and allowed them to worship and rest attend worship on the Sabbath aka sunday...

now how white folks and you blacks determine what god meant and what part should be used and what part shouldn't be used is beyond me...  

Last edited:
people want to say we are integrated and racism is over when the main reason SEC schools truly began to accept blacks is for Athletic purposes, go to any SEC school and there is a sub black community where all /majority the blacks hang together, hell UGA has a separate "black " graduation ceremony and "black homecoming"
Exactly. I saw recently that Alabama alumni voted to continue banning blacks from fraternities while those same alumni make millions off the backs of black athletes.

Your whole viewpoint in this thread is based on subjective anger and disappointment rather than objective logic and reason...

That is why only those who "feel" the same can agree with you rather than those who hold similar ideals but aren't as blinded by emotional opinion that don't serve any true purpose.

What you wrote above doesn't even relate to me, rather is a personal grudge you probably hold against certain members of the black community and you are expressing it solely because it angers you not because its actually a useful point of discussion in this exchange

Bruh you're a lost soul, if you can look at the state of the black community and NOT be angered YOU are part of the problem. Can't convince Doctor toms to change it's in your nature to feel how you feel, you do you and like I said me and people like me will work on building our black communities up. Lol your username describes people like you perfectly.

Last edited:

[COLOR=#red]Christians are the worst representatives for the bible. :smh: .. Do yall even read it?!

The bible does advocate slavery, but not the slavery like how the caucasian man has done to us.. a more righteous servitude. Every nation being subjected to the rule of the Children of Israel/Israelites.

My sig is one of the many verses I can show you.[/COLOR]

Last edited:
Most Christian dont read it

Are you really a Christian if you don't read it :lol:

Last edited:
I just posted the verses and I still haven't heard a Christian response to it....

how do you explain or not support slavery...and how do you pick and choose...?

old testament said the purchasing trading etc... of man if treated like livestock is wrong... Well how do you or white or whoever determine what treating a person like livestock mean...?

also new testament... black ppl skip over the part where it says you shall view and honor your master as he is a extension and reflection of god...

not in the sense of skipping over it cause I mean they do worship the holy the all that is perfect and right in the world white man... but dismissive as in they try to deny that fact..

what about the part to which you can strike a man with a rod so long as he doesn't die at your hands... it says those that rule/govern have the right to do so...

so by this logic Christians shouldn't oppose police brutality.... I mean are not the police those who rule and govern the land... are they not striking you literally and figurally with rods...? I mean unless the cops beat you to death it is deemed ok according to exodus...

So unless like I said earlier a pick and choose Christian then you are for police brutality and pro slavery...

and before the lame axx excuse of taking out of content can be used...

the verse specifically says, those who rule and govern the land....how/what other way can you interpret that... it is followed with you shall punish how ever see fit... be it strike a man with his rod so long as he does not die at his hands

aint no other way to interpret I can beat you with a stick/object so long as it isn't to death and so long as I feel you are guilty or have done wrong...

[COLOR=#red]Christians are the worst representatives for the bible. :smh: .. Do yall even read it?!

The bible does advocate slavery, but not the slavery like how the caucasian man has done to us.. a more righteous servitude. Every nation being subjected to the rule of the Children of Israel/Israelites.

My sig is one of the many verses I can show you.[/COLOR]

That is what I meant, the slavery in the bible is not the same kind of slavery that occured here in the USA. I can only speak for myself, and yes, i do read the bible. Theres no need to generalize and say we are the worst representatives. We are all imperfect and will never do 100% as God tells us. No need for animosity dude.

As far as interpreting the Bible, most of us cannot do it by our own. We need someone who actually went to college for it. Its called SEMINARY. If you have not gone to seminary, and studied Greek, you are not fit to interpret the Bible.

I just posted the verses and I still haven't heard a Christian response to it....

how do you explain or not support slavery...and how do you pick and choose...?

old testament said the purchasing trading etc... of man if treated like livestock is wrong... Well how do you or white or whoever determine what treating a person like livestock mean...?

also new testament... black ppl skip over the part where it says you shall view and honor your master as he is a extension and reflection of god...
not in the sense of skipping over it cause I mean they do worship the holy the all that is perfect and right in the world white man... but dismissive as in they try to deny that fact..

what about the part to which you can strike a man with a rod so long as he doesn't die at your hands... it says those that rule/govern have the right to do so...

so by this logic Christians shouldn't oppose police brutality.... I mean are not the police those who rule and govern the land... are they not striking you literally and figurally with rods...? I mean unless the cops beat you to death it is deemed ok according to exodus...

So unless like I said earlier a pick and choose Christian then you are for police brutality and pro slavery...

and before the lame axx excuse of taking out of content can be used...

the verse specifically says, those who rule and govern the land....how/what other way can you interpret that... it is followed with you shall punish how ever see fit... be it strike a man with his rod so long as he does not die at his hands

aint no other way to interpret I can beat you with a stick/object so long as it isn't to death and so long as I feel you are guilty or have done wrong...

Noone here in NT is fit to answer your specific questions. You should find a legit Pastor, who preaches the Bible, not his thoughts or feelings. but someone who preaches the Word of God AND actually graduated from a Bible college.

When I was Christian if it wasn't red I didn't read it
laugh.gif

Say word? Do you believe that the Bible is inspired by God's desires?

Look it up for yourself.

Also, this is from that same chapter, Exodus 21:

"(7) If a man sells his daughter as a servant, she is not to go free as male servants do. (8) If she does not please the master who has selected her for himself..."

Finish it yourself. Lots of good stuff: rules for beating your slave, rules for selling your daughter... and this is the chapter RIGHT AFTER the Ten Commandments.

P.S. I graduated from a Bible College. Graduated in 2008 w/ a degree in Advanced Biblical Studies. Used to be a youth pastor. That should have no bearing on what I've just presented to you, but I see that credentials mean something to you.

Last edited:
That is what I meant, the slavery in the bible is not the same kind of slavery that occured here in the USA. I can only speak for myself, and yes, i do read the bible. Theres no need to generalize and say we are the worst representatives. We are all imperfect and will never do 100% as God tells us. No need for animosity dude.

As far as interpreting the Bible, most of us cannot do it by our own. We need someone who actually went to college for it. Its called SEMINARY. If you have not gone to seminary, and studied Greek, you are not fit to interpret the Bible.

What college did Moses go to? Which college did Joshua go to? Which college did the man you call Jesus christ go to?

Your pimps in the pulpit are NOT fit to teach the scriptures, not one of them. Instead, they subscribe to the ROMAN CATHOLIC doctrine (through seminary colleges), and are subject to the IRS under the 501c3.. plenty of things they can't even discuss with the congregation, you call that making a deal with God I suppose? :lol: Those pimps know you "christians" just want to feel good for a day and have hijacked and perverted the word of the Lord to do just that. And based off the madness you writing, sounds like they got you real good :lol:

2 Corinthians 11:13 [COLOR=#red]For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. [/COLOR]
2 Corinthians 11:14 [COLOR=#red]And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.[/COLOR]
2 Corinthians 11:15 [COLOR=#red]Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.
[/COLOR]

Jeremiah 23:1 [COLOR=#red] Woe be unto the pastors that destroy and scatter the sheep of my pasture![/COLOR] saith the LORD.
Jeremiah 23:2 [COLOR=#red]Therefore thus saith the LORD God of Israel against the pastors that feed my people; Ye have scattered my flock, and driven them away, and have not visited them: behold, I will visit upon you the evil of your doings, saith the LORD.[/COLOR]

Last edited:

~~mostly because they especially as of late try to do any and everything to disassociate themselves from their root culture... Granted most came from slavery... but in large part black ppl are one of the few ppl who look down, shun or completely dismiss anything that remotely connects them to where they come from.
It's crazy how early this seed gets planted to.

Remember back in school how many kids used to claim like 6 different ethnicities as if it made them special? 1 out every 4 kid would swear they were "black...but mixed with indian, japanese, filipino, german, and austrailian" or some ****. Like...************ you got 2 parents. How are you 12 different things? 

The fact that y'all are arguing about something with no concrete correct answer yet continue to profess that what you say is the gospel is hilarious

Back
Top Bottom